What age is too old when it comes to potty training?

BrooklynMom10

Asked by BrooklynMom10 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Too old to NOT be potty trained? Without any health problems/disabilities limiting a child, I'd have to say 4 or 5. By that time a child should be fully capable of handling their bowels and wiping themselves. Night time accidents may still happen, but naps should be dry.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 17! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Not every child is text book, and some children have developmental delays or a neurological inability to control their bladder or bowels. The age should be when the child is ready! Except in cases of a physical or neurological condition, I have never known a child to be going to Kindergarten still wearing diapers/pull ups!

I never understood why it is so important to rush them through this phase!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There isn't an age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• usually they have to be self-sufficient in the bathroom by the time they enter kindergarten. the exception is if they have any kind of medical issues
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i have heard that the longer you wait the harder it is. plus, if they will be going to school, the teachers arn't going to change thier diapers, unless they have a medical reason not to be potty trained, then they might, i don't know.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 8:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• if you're asking at what age is too old to not be potty trained, imo over three is kind of ridiculous (in my house for sure) but i have had other people in my family wait til five. my cousin had major disabilities and was done before four.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 18!

Seriously, when a child becomes an adult, it's not going to matter when he was potty trained.

My daughter is 25 months old, and she'll learn to go potty when she's ready. If it takes until she is 4, then so be it. It's no one else's business.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't think there is a age for potty training!! Some get it are as old as 5 years old. My son was potty train at 2 but I push it my saying I want to go potty every 15 min and I would ask him to come with me and I would sit and go and he would imitated me he learn in like a week. Good luck.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 9:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son potty trained at 3 years 2 months. Only took 2 weeks to potty train him. I let him decide and it was a much simpler process.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010