DTP shot ???

At my babys 2 month shots she got 6 vaccines.When she was awake she could not focus-I would have her facing me and it was as if she were looking right through me-then her eyes would roll back-I would shake her slightly &yell her name & she would come back but then get unfocused again.She was not back to normal for almost a week.She is now 4 months old& she had to go in for her shots again.The dr knows but he said that he still really recomends me getting them.I had him split them up.I am supposed to take her back for the rest sometime this week-he said that the DTP is the one that tends to cause problems. I think she had a seizure& the DTP has been linked to seizures.I am terrified of her getting this again.I want to hear all the varying opinions.I really need help figuring this out.Im still getting her other ones because I dont think they were an issue-its just the DTP. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's the "P" part of that that causes problems. They have a new vaccine that is the DTaP that eliminates that chance. Talk to your doc, and if he doesn't have it, make him get it, or go somewhere else to get that shot. If she already had some kind of reaction to it, especially one that serious, don't do it again. My cousin had a reaction to it and he's totally handicapped. My mom gave it to me the first time, me and my cousin were born 2 days apart. But after what happened with him, she didn't let them give me anymore, just the DT was all I got after that. My sister never had any with the P, just the DT. I was terrified with my daughter, and was going to refuse too, but my doc told me about that DTaP, and I read up on it and was ok and I gave it to her, and she had no reaction whatsoever.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Thanks ! Ill have to call in the morning and ask if they have that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• hugs, my dr said that he could seperate the D and T and P, and make it into several doses. Also, if i'm correct in saying you dont need to get that shot until its time for some sort of school. I would ask, cause some babies, can't handle all of the vaccines at once, you have every right to ask what ever you wish, and can ask that it be delayed.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• No problem ;)
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Oh I will have to ask about that too - see if this dr office can do any of these things. Now that you guys are telling me this though I am definately not going to get her the DTP - and I am definately going to make sure he gives us one of those options.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I just did my clinical rotation in OB and Peds and we never gave more than four shots at once.
    nurse2b208

Answer by nurse2b208 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Oh yeah, I didn't even realize you said 6 vaccines at once!! 6 shots is too many, the most my DD ever got at one time was 4, 2 in one leg and 2 in the other.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Ohh wow I'm glad you mentioned this. My son only got 3 shots at his 6 week appt. because one was combined and I know it was the DTaP that he got, I never knew there was another one and that it caused reactions like that. That's horrible! I'm glad you're little girl is okay though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• just do not refuse vaccines. i was all paranoid about autism and that until my home schooled little cousins ended up with the measles. trust me it was horrible. 3 of them ended up hospitalized and the two smallest girls have bad scars.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My DS doc uses the DTaP and he doesn't have a problem at all. But then he only gets 4 shots at a time! I can't imagine giving a lil' baby 6. DS also gets an oral vaccine, but he barely notices. DTaP is supposed to be a lot safer.
    rosewolfkin

Answer by rosewolfkin at 12:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008