For the women who homeschool, what was some of the factors that made you decide to do it?

My oldest is diagnosed with epilepsy and we are having a hard time getting it under control. She also has speech problems and she has been to several different schools and none yet have seem to be a good fit. I am considering homeschooling so I am trying to research, ask questions, and what not..

blessedmama4

Asked by blessedmama4 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The area we live in, and the quality of education. 3 out of the 4 schools in our area have failed the past 2 years. Also, the fact that my DD cannot start school till the fall of 2011(she misses the age cutoff by 25 dyas!), yet she will finish Kindergarten by December 1st, and start 1st grade Jan. 3. This is a huge commitment, but I do feel this is best for my children.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• we have been going round and round with board, they won't bump the kids to the right grade. my oldest is in 3d grade with a reading grade of 7th and math is 5th. i have paper work for doing homeschool, and in all honesty you're not gunna find the school your child needs. what state you live in? i know of a place in ill, and indy. but try to find jerseymom. she's been doing it for awhile.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Florida and thank you =)
    blessedmama4

Comment by blessedmama4 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• her name is jerseymomto3. she's here on cafemom.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We started homeschooling because when my oldest hit high school she went from being the kid who loved school and learning to being miserable at school, having migraines and breaking out with stress hives. We considered a different school, but really she wanted to be homeschooled and it's worked out great for us. She's always been advanced, but now she's really getting to challenge herself and learn about what she's facinated with.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I knew before I ever had kids that they would be home-schooled. I hated school, even though I was a straight A student. I was never challenged, and resented the fact that I had to wait for the rest of the class to catch up, before I could move on. I took as many advanced classes as I could, and even graduated early just to get out of there.

For me, I like the individual attention that the kids can get being home-schooled. Whether advanced or behind they are moving at the pace that is best for them. I'm also in Florida, and the home-school laws here are pretty easy to follow. This year I am enrolling my oldest (the only one at compulsory age) in an umbrella school called Florida Unschoolers, which is going to make things so much easier for us. He will now tech. be considered a private school student, but I still get to teach him how I want. My boys are only 4 and 6, but they will never be put in school, if I can help it!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010