I'm Upset, but Glad

We bought a Labrador in Jan. and our family really just loves her to death. She has been great for our 4 year old. But we live in a Townhome and now with our son starting pre-school and a new baby on the way we are looking for a good family to take her. I don't like that she sheds uncontrollably, and it wouldn't be such a huge deal if there wasn't a newborn baby coming into the picture or if she could be outside more. She just doesn't have the room she needs to run, and she doesn't get the attention she deserves with me and DH both working full-time. I'm upset that we have made the decision to find her a new home, but I think it's in her best interest. Please no bashing, this was a very hard decision for us to make. I just want some support, have any of you placed your pet in another home after realizing it's more work than you anticipated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Yes. We adopted an 11 month old lab and after having her, we figured out that she just wasn't a fit for our family or life style. SHe was too hyper. I had my own daughter who was about 10 months old at the time and my 10 yr old son and I babysat other children on our home as well. The dog wasnt meaning to hurt anyone but she was just too rough with the babies and younger children, knocking them over, scratching them and what not. I would have to tie her up outside or lock her in a seperate room until the little kids were gone but I still had to keep her away from my own little one. It was just too much. My son was upset over having to get rid of her but, he also wasn't willing to take on any responsibilty for her.SO we called the family that we got her from and they took her back. I felt badly about it. If we ever decide to get another dog, I will defintiley do more research into the type of dog that will fit into our family.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You aren't that upset if you have to make two posts about it.

Dogs are not disposable. They aren't garbage bags, rotten food, or holey socks. They are living, breathing creatures....the sooner people who get dogs on a whim understand this, the better it is for the poor dumped animals dying daily in shelters. Before you give away your dog OP go check out a shelter on gassing day, or the day they kill the dogs. They literally have to drag the dogs from their cages, cramped and dirty as they are, because being alive in a dirty cage is better then being dead.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Call the lab rescue organization in your area - google labrador retriever rescue.

Labs are hunting dogs and behave as such, it is good you have realized the dog is not the one for your family, but if there is a "next time" thoroughly research the breed before you make such a huge commitment.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I support ya.Good for you tryin to find him a home.Call the local shelters or put out an ad about free dog and give him the best family you think.You shouldnt feel bad your bout to have a new baby..congrads
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yeah I re-homed a bird. A very noisy bird who got no attention from us. It was a mistake to get it-- but we found a good home to send him to. My daughter who was the birds owner knew it was the right thing to do, but still hard. We are happy our bird is with a good loving home and that makes us feel better.
    Good luck-- it is not bad it is a good thing to do. Next time be a more educated consumer. ( lesson learned for me too). It is really hard to know what will fit and work in your family.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i worked at a shelter once with my dad they do not gas them any more so get out of the caveman days. instead of the shelter try the aspca. there are no kill shelters out there. but you should first try to fid it a home on your own. the shelter could give you info on how to contact good reputable rescues.
    bobo69

Answer by bobo69 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• http://www.animal-abusesite.info/euthanisia.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XC-6qNi3bk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hGYmx2wsc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFb3E0MJZ5Y&feature=related

Care for anymore Bobo? We live in the caveman days when it comes to animals.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yes i have had to do this same thing with our boxer. well my husband boxer. she had a lot of energy that my husband wasn't working out of her. i just had a new baby and was to tired and too busy that she just go to much to handle. it was in our new home that she started to really bark a lot. waking me up and then she developed a sensitive stomach and would crap in the house when we brought her in at night so i wouldn't hear her bark. i just felt so sorry for her being cooped up without the attention she deserved. i rehomed her through craigslist. ask question on their lifestyle and then selected a nice young guy who goes boating or camping and rollerblading every day or at least on the weekends. on veterans day she went to the lake on the boat and had fun on the beach. what we did: cleaned house. yea! i'm happy to know that she is in another better home. although i have to admit i still miss her and so does my standard poodle
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010