do you think that fish have feelings?

i am being serious! here's what happened. on sat. we were gone all day long, and when we came back i looked at the aquarium and the fish were acting wierd. staying very still like they were asleep. i went closer to find out what was wrong with them and i noticed that the intake pipe to the filter had come apart and one of our fish got sucked up (it was a bubble eye goldfish and it got sucked up by the eyeball :( . i turned off the filter and got it out.... the kids said goodbye and we flushed him. the 4 other fish in the tank were still acting strange after that. they wouldn't eat or act like they were before. they were back to normal the next day. what do you think? i never saw anything like that lol and the fish that died was the youngest..... we had him for 1 1/2 years. the other ones are 3 or 4 years old. what do you think?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pets

• That would be interesting to know if they did or not. I was actually wondering the same thing the other day, we were camping and hubby was fishing with minnows. when he put the hook through it's head, all i could thing about was my sons pet fish at home, we have had them for 2 years and I couldn't imagine doing that to them. but since the minnows are "bait fish", its ok? lol It must be the fertility meds screwing with my emotions.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Maybe they thought the pump was a predator and were afraid to get sucked up too? I don't think fish have feelings, but I do think they realize when someone in their school dies.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• they could smell the dead one and went into survival mode. I don't think they felt bad for him or anything,they just probably thought they were next.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am sure they may have thought is that gonna happen to me to? They may have also been grieving for the baby of the bunch. I am sure all god's creatures have some feelings.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Have you ever watched "Nemo" ? LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• LoL @Kimberly....that's what I was gonna say!
    Angyll24

Answer by Angyll24 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I tell the kids it was "fishicide" when that happens.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010