Ambien side effects

if you have taken ambien occasionally, what were the side effects?

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• I woke up one night wearing a pair of shorts I wasn't wearing when I went to sleep. its known for causing blackouts. On the nights I take it I put my car keys in a different spot just to make sure! I also make sure the alarms on.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I took ambien twice when I was pregnant. Instead of making me sleep, it made me lay there, groggy, hallucinating. I was also in too much pain from my pelvic bones seperating to sleep which is why they gave it to me so that may have been why it didn't make me sleep. Other than that, I didn't have any other side effects.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I could only take about 1/4 of a tablet. I slept like a baby, but I was very grouchy the next day. If you are looking for something to make you sleep, try just Melatonin. That's what I switched to.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my ob prescribed it to me a few weeks ago - i've taken it a handful of times, two of them recently. i just started having BIG mood swings after being pretty emotionally stable throughout the pregnancy. i know that i have had the blackouts when i didn't go to sleep quick enough but although i know mood swings are common in pregnancy i am wondering if the ambien is causing problems...
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• For me of course it makes me sleepy and relax kind of like a drunky feeling... I hate to say this but my dh has told me I act like a different person in bed after I have taken it and hadn't gone to sleep yet. But I don't remember some parts and that is scary. he is my husband and I don't mind but when I do take the pill I am ready to go to sleep. I sometimes take the generic to it it is a lot cheaper and it does the same job. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i have the generic. as for melatonin, i know this might sound a little crazy (especially considering i am way into natural meds and try not to take prescriptions - prefer food healing to anything) but i am not comfortable with the potential effects based on what i've read... it seems that there is a great potential for the serotonin-melatonin cycle to be disturbed and i have had chronic depression (not lately), problems with synthetic hormones, thyroid disease, and hubby is bipolar (theoretically, but i think just major anxiety) - to me this is something that my child will be more chemically sensitive to. i am somewhat concerned about the effects of ambien as well, of course, but it has been a lifesaver on these few occasions. i am, however, wondering if the mood swings are related based on mavi's comment - seems very possible.
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The only problem I get with it is that I have a compulsive urge to eat right before I go to bed. Ambien munchies is what I call them. I take the CR version. It does not kick in as fast and the effects are gradual instead of right away.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2010