CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT

My son is a little over a month old and has what the doc's call a dimple on his back it's like a little small whole right at the top of his spine but when they checked it they said it was ok but not as normal as they want it to be but he uses his legs pretty good right now is there anyone else with this problem or has heard of it before that has some advice or can explain it to me more clearly and not so much medically where i can understand a little bit better .

shareka27

Asked by shareka27 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I haven't been through this or heard about it, but if the doc is using too many medical terms and you don't understand, just tell him you don't understand and to explain it more simply. Don't feel ashamed or anything, there have been times when I've looked at my ped. and said, "huh? what?" and made him re-explain it to me another way. ;)
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Hey is the dimple on his lower back? My mom has this and when I was a kid I thought she had a belly button on her back. My mom's back closed up just in time before she was born. She almost had spina bifida. If the hole wouldn't have closed up, she proably would have been paralized or something. Maybe the same thing happned to your son?
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 12:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I wrote out a whole answer for you, then Cafe Mom crashed! Lets' see if I can complete it this time! The fact that your son's legs are moving is very good. It could be a closed lesion form of spina bifida, called spina bifida occulta. This usually results in no nerve damage. Just for your sense of peace, I recommend trying to get x-rays to see is spina bifida is there. Also take a look at www.sbaa.org . They have great info about spina bifida, including a document explaining the different forms. I have spina bifida myself, the most severe form, and I live a full productive life. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 6:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2008