Do you agree with this statement ?

* seen it on facebook, and there are 100s of thousands of people who "liked" it *

" I would rather go to jail for spanking my kids, than them going because I didn't"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• YES
    bradensmommy106

Answer by bradensmommy106 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• YES- i agree with you!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't agree with this question because I feel that communication with your child is more effective than a spanking. To me a spanking only inflicts fear. I want my children to respect me as well as obey me. And that can all be done effectively through communication.
    kashikirino

Answer by kashikirino at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes and no- I believe that there are other ways to correct a child that is not spanking but I also agree that there are time where it is necessary. Though your spanking would have to be abusive to go to jail at which point it wasn't a spanking it was a beating... I wouldn't have 'liked' it but I guess I can see what they were going for.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i don't want my kids going to jail. I also don't want to hit them. I try talking, reasoning, and explaining with my children rather than physically punishing them. Thats just me.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Somewhat.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• not really because i don't think that spanking is a way to make your kids turn out good. it might make them stop whatever they are doing at the time, but it is not going to gaurentee they will be good when they're adults. nothing is ever guarenteed
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I totally agree, I'm not saying I spank evertime there's an infraction, and if you as a parent don't need it fine. But too many parents aren't using any form of discipline - choosing to be their child's friend rather than their parent - and that is a huge problem. I mean really if it came down to my kids being spanked and fearing the spanking or ending up in jail, it's a no-brainer.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Though your spanking would have to be abusive to go to jail at which point it wasn't a spanking it was a beating...

EXACTLY. Spanking is not against the law but abusive beating is. There is a HUGE difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I disagree...I do not in any way think that there is a connection with spanking and prison unless you reverse it and the go to prison because they were spanked as a child. I know from experience that spanking does not teach a child a thing but to be scared of you and not get caught next time. How could putting your hands on your child teach them anything positive??
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 9:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010