Is it right to take children away from their mother is they don't have elec. & water?

My granddaughter no longer get unemployment checks, she lost her apartment and had to move back to her Mothers house (who is crazy) and they have no electricity or running water. I had her electric turned on for two weeks, but I don't have the money to add to it again at this time. They get water from the next door neighbor in 5 gal jugs. The kids are 14, 14, and 12. They want to stay with their Mom. She will start work in two months. I grew up on a ranch with an outhouse and well, so am I being terrible to leave them with their Mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• they should petition the state for aid.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There are programs that would help them get aid so that the situation can be avoided. It doesn't seem like she is a incompetent mother just thats she's struggling a little at the moment. I don't think the children need to be taken from her.
    kashikirino

Answer by kashikirino at 9:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• How do they keep food? keep clean? where do they poop and pee?
    Could you take them in for awhile?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• WELL I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD CONTINUE TO STAY WITH THERE MOM BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION AND THAT'S WHERE THEY WANT TO BE IF THEY HAD LIKE HEALTH ISSUES OR WERE YOUNGER THEN THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY SHE IS TRYING SHE JUST NEED THE CHANCE TOO IF THE GOVERNMENT WAS'NT SO MESSED UP PEOPLE AND FAMILY'S WOULD'NT BE PUT IN THESE KIND OF SITUATIONS .
    shareka27

Answer by shareka27 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't think the kids should be taken away if they have basic necessities... Like if they can stay warm and aren't getting too hot, the have food and water and have the ability to be sanitary.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 9:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think your granddaughter is just having a Tough time right now- For her kids to want to Stay with her under the conditions, says that she is a Good Mom- She just needs some help; i hope she will go apply for aid- i also hope things get better very soon for all of them!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• At that age, they are old enough, I think to decide. If its a temp situation, but they are making it work, I see no reason for the children to be removed.
    If they are unable to eat and simply aren't safe, then I think it would need to be addressed.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Honestly . At that age I think they're old enough to live in those conditions. As long as the family isn't freezing or boiling, has some sort of clean water, enough food, etc. It's good she's starting work in two months and I hope that she keeps her job. I would think though that you would ask her AND her kids to move in with you. That way they can have all of what they need.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• They are old enough to deal with this. If there toddlers i would say then someone needs to step in but not for teens.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• no i think the family should be helped, not punished.

I'm guessing the father lives somewhere else based on your question? Give them to him.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2010