Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

how can i get help for depression

i am going through something and it's really affecting my life i don't know what to do anymore can someone please tell me what i can do

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

Answers (4)
  • You can call a local mental health center & see if they need a referral from your insurance company to take you as a patient. If so, see your Primary doctor & let them know how you are feeling & ask them for the referral. If you go to your primary, they may be able to get you seen faster so I would encourage you seeing them first. Either way, know that you are not alone & getting help is the best thing you can do for yourself. I wish you the BEST of luck & hope you begin feeling better very soon!<3

    Answer by Marix3 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Make an appointment with your primary doctor as soon as possible. Tell him/her how you are feeling. They may prescribe you an antidepressant and give you a refferal to a psychiatrist or counselor.
    Good Luck and get well soon.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • If you can't get in to your doctor, a hospital will take you. Probably they will prescribe some sort of drugs, which may take a few weeks to kick in (ask how long). Different drugs help different people, so if you don't get help, go back. Also, if you have decent insurance, talk therapy is almost as effective as drugs, and putting the 2 together is way more effective and good at preventing it from recurring.

    I hope you find help soon. It's very brave of you to admit the problem and find help. I know it's very hard to do. I'm wishing you the best!

    Answer by Tracys2 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Start with your primary doctor, they will either A. prescribe you antidepressants or B. Refer you to a psychiatrist or therapist depending on your needs. If it is extreme, like you are suicidal then you should go to the E.R.

    Answer by Angyll24 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.