???

any moms that have had their membranes stripped how long did you spot afterwards? I had mine done on Monday and lost my mucous plug an hour afterwards. I went to the hospital last night and they check my cervix 3 times. There was a good amount of blood each time on the nurses glove and she said its normal and a good thing (means stripping the membranes is working ) but i'm still spotting brown stuff. Looks like discharge but more watery. My bag hasnt ruptured either. I've had 4 miscarriages and spotting has always meant something bad to me. I also want to have sex before I can't for 6 weeks lol. Do you think I can even though I'm spotting? Just wondering. thanks :)

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 9:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well obviously you're trying to go into labor, right? so i would think that sex would be helpful for that (unless the dr. told you not to of course)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yah but I'm scared about the spotting thing and my husband says if he broke my water it would traumatize him for life lol and he's afraid he will hit the babies head or something lol. I was thinking in the shower maybe a good idea lol
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The stripping of the membranes along with the excessive internal exams are all traumatic to your body, so I can see why you would be spotting. I believe it is okay to have sex until your water breaks.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i know some ppl don't like being checked a lot...i can't say that I do but I can understand how it is necessary..it makes me feel better to know how far a long I am. It's not pleasant my hospital is really good too everytime they check a patient they use gloves that are in sterilized packets including the lube. Isnt that awesome? it's like getting a piercing they open it right in front of you and if the glove touches something like the table or even the sheet they open a new one. they checked me when i get there, after i walked the halls for an hour and before they let me go home
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, you should have sex, the sperm and an orgasm will help. When I has my membranes stripped, it didn't really help. Just made me spot a lot and have lots of discharge. Honestly, nipple stimulation works. At least it did for me. Good luck!
    lizpiz

Answer by lizpiz at 10:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I got my membranes stripped at 36 weeks 6 days... My water broke 2 days later and had my son the next day... I'm pretty sure I spotted those 2 days before my water broke.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 10:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Also, I still had sex... Helps alot if you want to go into labor... It took me 2 days for my water to break! We have sex twice a day! :)
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 10:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You can have sex until your water breaks
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, you can have sex.
    You can try different positions or situations if you prefer to avoid intercourse. There are alternatives to penetration.

And no, getting your cervix checked isn't necessary. Just so you're aware. ;-)
    You *will* go into labor eventually, with patience regardless of knowing what the cervix was doing at any particular hour-day. Most women throughout history and now don't get checked at all.)

With your history, it might feel better emotionally (and physically) to avoid unnecessary interventions.
    Besides, this helps to have a safer-happier birth experience. With that past I think you'd like this!!

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2010