Would you let your 12yo live with another family for a few months?

My best friend (since Kindergarten) has a daughter who's like a sister to my daughter (since they were born).

Due to my job, I have to go to NY for 4 months (we live in San Francisco). My daughter doesn't want to come with me and I think it would actually be ok to let her stay with my best friend's family so she doesn't have to switch schools and go through the whole moving thing for just 4 months. (DH died last year)

She's very mature and I trust her and my friend completely, but we've never been apart for more than 2 weeks (when she goes to camp).

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you are comfortable with it then go for it im sure she will be fine!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Since you trust your friend I would let her. :)
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'd totally let her stay if you're both comfortable with it, and if the friend okays it. Make sure and stay in contact and I don't see any harm!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 9:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• In your situation I would feel comfortable with it. Being as you trust your friend completely, know that her daughter and your child get along greatly, etc. I think in that situation I would feel comfortable with it. In any other situation I might not be as comfortable.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it would be fine and probably th ebest thing for her so she doesnt have to uproot her whole life and go to a new school for just 4 months. SInce it is your best friend and you trust her..yeah, I say go for it. You guys will miss eachother though, I'm sure!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• In that type of situation the ans. would be yes.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would in that situation.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• As long as you fully trust your friend and know that she would care for your daughters safety just as you would, then it sounds ok.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it would be fine as long as everyone involved is ok with it.
    taralynn74

Answer by taralynn74 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• In this situation yes. It's a great solution to a short term issue. And with all the ways to keep in touch these days you can still be talking to her daily through e-mail, texting, phone calls, skype, still help her with her homework and everything.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010