Family living with my family. HELP!!

Okay, so my SO's sister became a widow 2.5 weeks ago. She is now living with us along with her 3 and 9 yo boys. I need help defining boundries. Example- The 9 yo will sit ALL DAY and play video games, he is highly addicted and his legs are not strong enough to pedal a bike, and not hope at all without training whells. She went and bought the 9 yo a Nintendo DS because he 'had been through so much'. He already has a Wii, Xbox, and PSP. We had hidden all the other video games, so now my 6 yo pitches a FIT to play this DS, says it is unfair that these people have no money but all these expensive toys. One, that is not how you compensate for a father dying. Two, there is one DS and 5 kids. Three, this family has been ALOT, he is behind socially and with his physical skills and we are really trying to help this family.
How do we set solid rules and others and not hurt her feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give her a break - she just lost her husband 2.5 weeks ago! I'm sure it's frustrating but it was very generous of you to open your home to her and her children. If the kids keep fighting over the video game(s) then take it away. But I wouldn't burden your sister-in-law, at least not yet - give her some time to heal and deal with her grief.
    Can you and your DH maybe take the boys out for some physical activity? Even running around at a local park will help get rid of some of that extra energy and make it easier for everyone to deal with each other in the house.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think the challenge is bigger than setting boundaries. It is very hard for grown people to live together unless they are married...and even harder then...lol. Good luck and God bless
    MakkarMom

Answer by MakkarMom at 9:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010