Am I the only one?

Did I get lucky? I have a 3 year old and she rarely back talks, if I threaten a time out, she straightens up, and I rarely have to ask her to do something twice.

I come on here and 2 year olds are screaming at parents, 3 year olds are beating up animals, and mothers can't make the children mind.

Is it rare to have a child like this or and what causes the above to happen? I'd like to know so that I can prevent it with another child.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't have those issues either. We began with a consistent discipline plan and my son was always told what is expected of him and what is unacceptable.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• well you did your job well be proud that your a good parent. that and your child is a good child.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have a 3.5yr old and he's very well behaved too-usually. My 18month old on the other hand... actually when they get together they can get naughty, but either one by themselves they're angel children.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I really cant say, My 4yr old went threw a time where she was really mean to me. But then got out of it. I just kept doing what I was doing from the begining, I never changed strageties...I think other parents do...I could be wrong though.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• well, i have 3 kids. my oldest (5yo) is an angel. i can count on 1 hand the amount of times i have to dicipline him all year. my 2yo is a handfull. he's in timeout daily. my baby (11mo) i give her the stink eye and she starts crying lol. every kid is different. obviously i am raising them all the same. they have the same rules, but they react differently bc they have different personalities. you can't prevent it imo. you can just deal with it. but in my defense, my 2yo is just in time out for minor things..... not sharing mostly
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think a lot of it is how you raise them but I also think a lot of it is just who they are. Some kids are more stubborn, emotional, testing, etc. than others. I think too that some of it depends on personality types in the household and how they mesh....if mom and 2 year old have conflicting personality types...they're in trouble. All you can do is your best.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Out of my six kids....two were tornados who had minds of their own and fought discipline quite a bit....two were mellow kids who had no real issues....one was middle of the road, but was more obedient than not.....one was my kid just like yours!

It really depends on the child and there really isn't much you can do to prevent it. Kids are born with their own personalities and you don't get to choose.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 10:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had no issues with my first. My second is a hellion. lol. She puts herself in time out!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thank the stars or whatever force it is you believe in! My older sister who had a daughter that was an "angel" used to criticize me for having a son who was "always into stuff and was unruly" as a toddler and young child. Now? My son is 17 1/2 and an angel. Her? She's got 2 more kids, younger than my son and she cannot stop apologizing to me. Her youngest, a girl and is a handful. Her 2nd? He's also a handful, but not quite as challenging as her youngest. Basically, accept your blessing but don't knock others.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• oh come on now! Your bragging! My 3 yr old LO has a major attitude problem and never listens
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010