I adopted my cousin's son; my cousin drank heavily during the pregnancy, but he was born

just fine, thank God! What kind of long term effect will this have on him? he is very very very hyper but a healthy little boy. What can I expect as he grows; he is 14 months old now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• It is hard to say what kind of effects will occur. Some kids are hyper even if they were not exposed to that during pregnacy. I say you can expect to have a child who loves you and is happy that you are his mom. Stay current on medical visits just to make sure of everything, but try not to worry about what could happen. Focus on day to day. I applaud you for taking on the responsibility.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 12:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My son is 14 months and extremely hyper and I did not have 1 sip of alcohol while pregnant, it's such a shame that mothers get pregnant and don't even care about the growing bay inside of them. At each appt your doctor should be asking if he is doing certain things it helps them see and realize the brain devlopement. Talk to your doctor nest time you have an appt and point blank ask him what things your son (and he is your son, you are raising him) should be doing and working on! He may very well come out of things perfectly fine. I wish you all the best of luck
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 12:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• 4 starters, KUDOS 2 U 4 stepping up & taking this on. And as discoverytoygal said, it's really hard 2 tell. I would call his pediatrician, explain the situation & tell him ur concerns. They should b able 2 either give u some answers or point u in the right direction 2 get them if they can't. Again, ur awesome & good luck!!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• At this point, it is hard to say. There may be no adverse affects at all. Since there have been no physical signs of it, it is likely he escaped FAS. FAS is characterized in part by facial abnormalities, and slow development growth wise. Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorder is a little harder to detect as infants, but again, there would usually be some signs of it by now. I'm guessing he's been examined and had regular pediatric visits? If so, they would see the signs during their examinations.
    There are other possible complications, such as horse-shoe shaped kidneys, heart murmurs, and optical hyposplasia (which causes light sensitivity and decreased visual accuity).
    Keep him going for regular check ups. It sounds as if he may have escaped with little or no damage, and blessed with such a loving person in you. You should be proud of yourself...I'm proud of you. :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I drank just 2 mixed drinks when I was pregnant 15 years ago (before I found out). My son was a normal weigt at birth but had a hard time gaining weight for the 1st 6 months. Then everything was good for the next 6 years then his learning disability started to emerge. He is almost 15 and still does not have a diagnosis. Find an early intervention program in your area or an FAS diagnosis clinic. His pediatrician should be able to hook you up.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 6:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2008