Which is better to go Community College or a big College of your choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• depends on the degree you want. i personally would go to the community college and get the prerequists out of the way cuz is a ton cheaper then transfer to finish out if you want higher then associates.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i did both.... got some prerequisites out of the way at community college during the summer before i went to the university. i also took classes most summers so i wouldn't have to take as many credits at the university, since i was working full time and full time student

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have a community college in my backyard, literally. All the credits transfer to any state college in our state. Much cheaper to get the first two years done at the community college, transfer to a bigger state college and only have to pay and do another two years.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think community college is better because its cheaper. The degrees are just as good.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• depends what you want. Its generally cheaper at a community college and the first 2 years just about of credits are the same regardless...so for most its better just to get those over and done with and then trasfer.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it depends on the student. I started at a big university and loved it! I don't think I would have enjoyed a community college nearly as much. I went to a university where the student/campus life is a huge part of the experience.

I will recommend one thing when starting at a community college - if the student already has an idea of a 4-year school and major, make sure all courses at the community college will count towards that major. If they don't count towards the chosen degree/major, the student will end up having to take a lot more courses than expected at the bigger school, which won't save much money. Not every school/major has the same requirements, even on the basic freshman level.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Most community colleges and tech colleges have only 2 year programs where you then have to go to a 4 year university to complete the 4 year degree.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Sorry to differ with twinsplus2more - you can get your 2 year pre-reqs at a community college and then transfer to the university to complete your 4 year degree (just 2 more years of upper division courses). As the others have said - cheaper at the community college level, if you can afford the 4 year university experience, go for it!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• For my husband ,myself ,and our children we have preferred the go away to a university experience.But it is great to have options for what fits best.My only concern is we are a city with 3 private universities , 2 public and 3 cc so it seems to me one of our particular cc has a large population of kids just killing time rather working at a job.I guess I think it would be better for a serious student to live at home and attend one of the public universities if money is an issue.More with the same mind set towards college.Really though what ever gets you the degree you want is the best.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• well i just went back to school and i am going to university of phoenix i go once a week and it is wonderful
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2010