Sibling jealousy with a newborn- how long does it last?

Just brought home our new baby less than 2 weeks ago and our 17 month old is acting out b/c she is jealous. We're trying so hard to be attentive to her and give her one on one time with both of us. How long is this going to last? She is acting out, being bad to get attention. Any help is appreciated.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it never fades. the best you can do is have a date day with her once a week or so where just you or daddy and she gets to spend the day by themselves. also try getting her involed with helping with the baby like feeding or changing. passing the bottle or holding the bottle if you are bottle feeding or geting a new diaper and the wipes stuff like that. if you are breast feeding have her sit next to you while you feed and explain what you are doing. i didnt have so much a problem at first mine was there in bed with me right after the delivery and she loved helping me with the baby and even got into our large sink to help with the first bath. but now there is a bit of rivalry and we try to have date days with her and it seems to help a bit.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• honestly? forever. it just shows up more at certain ages, but never really fades.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My daughter and son were 19 mo. apart. I don't think 17 mo. is quite old enough to be truly jealous, I think your daughter is just adjusting to a new regime. Up until now, she has been your world and all of the sudden she has to be the big girl and you're probably going to be expecting a lot from her going forward. Stay firm on the discipline...treat matters just as you would have before. Make time for her frequently throughout the day....little hugs, smiles, etc. Get her involved in the baby's care. Keep diapers, wipes, pacifiers, burp clothes, etc. on her level so she can help by getting them for you, etc. If she doesn't already have one, go get her a baby doll with all the gear (bottles, bassinet, stroller, etc.) so she has her own baby to take care of. When the baby is sleeping, do something special with her (i.e. the dishes can wait)...like a craft or something that the baby can't do. The good news is that...
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ...they're still really open to change at this age and she'll adjust in a few weeks. The time will fly and before you know it they'll be playing together on the floor or off in another room giggling together. Congrats on the new one!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• When the new baby is sleeping spend time with her. Also let her feel involved. Like bring you a new diaper and wipes or a new outfit. Doing those things right away with my kids I didn't have any issue with jealous. As soon as I brought my 3rd home I included my 2 oldest in everything. I also explained everything I was doing.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My 13 month old kisses my 3 week old, my two older children 4 and 8 love the babies and feed them and change diapers and clothes I lucked out and got great little minions lol although my daughter wont eat lol she only wants to drink :)
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would involve the 17month old more. good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010