How Do We Tell Him?

We have decided to find a new home for our black lab puppy. She doesn't have the room she needs to run and romp here that she deserves, and she requires much more attention than two full time working parents can give. We just don't know yet how to tell our 4 year old son. He loves our dog, we all do, but we feel that she deserves better than what we can give her right now. We didn't realize what taking on a dog would take, especially a lab that needs constant attention and loves to be running outside. We live in a townhome and we cannot let her run off a leash and the nearest dog park is about 5 miles away. I try to walk her nightly, but being 7 months pregnant some days it's the last thing I want to do. And with a new baby on the way, I'm worried about the dog hair inside because she sheds no matter how often we bathe and brush her. How do we tell our 4 year old without him resenting us or his baby brother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can the dog stay at grandma's or Auntie's? Maybe dh can walk the dog in the a.m. and you in the p.m. or something
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Don't even mention the baby at all when you tell your son or he will make the connection himself for sure! I would tell him the truth...adults think that kids don't understand things very well, but you'd be surprised. Just tell him what a doggy needs to be happy and point out that the doggy doesn't have it there. Tell him how unhappy the doggy is because he misses "such and such". Your son may even suggest something himself that goes with your plans!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• And don't use the line "you can visit him whenever you want" unless you really mean it...I still resent my step-dad for getting rid of my kitty and telling me that even though it wasn't true.
    an-apple-a-day

• DOn't even bring the baby into it for start. there is no need. I would leave it at 'We met someone today who really loves _____. He/She has a huge yard and lots of toys and a lot of time to play with him/her. Mommy and Daddy thought that it might be a good idea if ____ went to live with him/her. Since we don't have a lot of places for _____ to run. YOU know Puppies need to run a lot to be happy and healthy. I know it's kind of sad but don't you think that ____ would be so very happy if he/she could run all the time and not be left alone all day while everyone is at work and school? It doesn't mean we can never have another dog but maybe we should wait until we have a bigger place to keep one.'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Tell him that your "turn" is over and now you have to "share" and let someone else have a "turn"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Maureen, don't you think he'd be expecting for it to be his turn again at some point? And why would you recommend lying to the child?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010