How Do We Tell Him? (PIOG)

We have decided to find a new home for our black lab puppy. She doesn't have the room she needs to run and romp here that she deserves, and she requires much more attention than two full time working parents can give. We just don't know yet how to tell our 4 year old son. He loves our dog, we all do, but we feel that she deserves better than what we can give her right now. We didn't realize what taking on a dog would take, especially a lab that needs constant attention and loves to be running outside. We live in a townhome and we cannot let her run off a leash and the nearest dog park is about 5 miles away. I try to walk her nightly, but being 7 months pregnant some days it's the last thing I want to do. And with a new baby on the way, I'm worried about the dog hair inside because she sheds no matter how often we bathe and brush her. How do we tell our 4 year old without him resenting us or his baby brother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pets

• tell him what you said in your question, but not the part about the hair and the baby. maybe get a different pet that is not so much work.... a beta? hermit crabs? they're very easy to take care of
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Can grandma or Auntie keep the dog? Can you and your dh alternate walking him?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• IDK what you tell him but I hope that you learn from this and don't adopt or even worse, buy another pet when you know you can't provide the proper home for him/her.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with FeelinYummy, you shouldn't take on that kind of responsibility unless you know for sure you can handle it from the start. You have a responsibility to this little puppy to give her the best life possible. You're worried about your little boy, just think of how this little puppies going to feel when you hand it over to someone else. I'm sorry but I don't have any sympathy for you. She deserves the best you can give her, and I'm afraid this isn't it. I know people that have kids, and apartment, jobs, etc, and they take great care of their furry family members, with no problems...
    As for telling your child, tell him the truth, that you can't do it, and that you're not a good pet owner. Be honest, at least that will teach him that you don't take on a pet unless you can completely commit to it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• First of all MrsLeftlane, she admitted that she didn't know what taking on a pet would take, and at least she can admit that. And at least she is looking for a home for this pet rather than just dumping it somewhere like so many other people do. Obviously she has learned that she will not take on a pet, knowing how much of a responsibility it is unless she can commit to it. Why do some women feel the need to just bash? I think you are doing the right thing, if you feel you can't give the dog what she deserves, and you're taking the time to find her a new home that's great! Just tell your son the truth. You just don't have time for the dog right now, and maybe when you can have a bigger house and more time you can get another dog. He'll get over it eventually.

mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 10:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would NOT mention the new baby as a part of it in ANY way.

You just tell him that people have a responsibility to their pets, and part of that responsibility is to do what's best for them (the pet), and right now, you aren't able to do what's best for ___ (pet's name). Explain that it's hard, and it makes you sad, and you know it's going to make him sad, but ___ deserves to be in a home where he's able to run and play and not be left alone all the time while everyone is gone at work or school. Tell him you know he's going to miss him, but that you have found another home for __, where he can be happy and have the life he deserves.

Also, this is NOT meant mean, but I would encourage you to research different breeds and etc before getting another pet - some require a lot more care and time than others, and find a good fit before you commit :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I understand that you have Alot on your plate but- your reasons are exactly what so many others say & the reason why so many dogs are sitting in the shelter wondering what they did wrong to be there- i think your Son's Feelings are going to be Hurt regardless, so i would tell him the truth- Maybe if a Family Member or a Family Friend could adopt him from you & your son could continue to be in his life, he will be o.k. with it but, i would try to make this work for your family somehow if at all possible- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I understand that labs have a lot of energy because I have one. But you took on the responsiblity of this dog even if you did not do the research on the breed like you should have. I understand that you are pregnant but maybe you can get your husband to run the dog with a bike. That is one way I excersise my lab and it wears him out pretty well. 5 miles is not that far to go to a dog park, I would go so that the dog can run and play with other dogs. Labs are one of the worst shedders, this is true but I found that the furminator brush does an extremely good job of cutting down on the fur that is shed in the house. Frankly all I am hearing are lame excuses. I feel sorry for the dog.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Why aren't you worried about the dog hair with your four year old?

If you are really convinced you can't give your dog the time it needs, then find a rescue to take it DO NOT take it to a shelter, or a pound. They will kill the dog in three days. If you decide to rehome the dog on your own, make sure you ask lots of questions, ask for vet references, people references, visit the place the dog will be going to and make sure the dog will not be left outside. Also, ask for a donation, you don't have to keep it, it can be given to a shelter, or a rescue or whatever.

con't
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You really should be thinking of alternatives to getting rid of it...or dumping it as it is known. There are lots of families that have full time working parents and they still have dogs, kids and other activities. Getting a dog requires research, time, energy, patience, more time and then more patience and time. It is not something to do on a whim (which is what most people do and not knowing the activity level of a lab, I am inclined to think you may have done).

Dogs are a lifetime commitment they are not something that can be gotten rid of when it becomes too much. I will give you credit for trying to find it a home and not leaving it on the side of the road.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010