Im the first born and Im curious about something with my dad and and my brother.

My younger brother lives with his g/f and she is pregnant in my dads rental house for free. I was raised to work for what you want. Im not jelous of my bro, but my dad enables him and his lifestyle. Dad only talks to me when he doesnt approve of something Ive done or he wants to put in his opinion on how I raise my daughter. Im married, and I ask nothing from dad, ever. Bro gets everything he wants and dad complains, but still does these things. Any suggestions as to why? I've talked to dad about this, but he gets defensive and changes the subject. Im starting to feel resentful and I just dont understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• Oh man does that sound like my brother too. My brother just lives alone in a house that my dad owns and pays for and pays all his bill and car insurance and even buys his groceries. I try and talk to my dad about why he lets him stay and I get the same response out of my dad that you get out of your dad. It makes me sick that my dad still does that for him. My brother has a job and everything but doesn't pay a penny for anything but his cell phone bill and the gas in his truck. I wish I had some advice for you but I don't. Sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• UHM this is EXACTLY what im going through right now .. well i have been my whole life, but im just starting to realize that my mom does this. its very hurtful and i feel like a big idiot and she treats me like im stupid all the time when i bring it up she gets defensive and yells doesnt let me speak and turns everything around on me.. its very hurtful. i know wat your going through trust me... idk whythey do it :(
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• LOL well at least Im not alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I truthfully think that your parents view you as a stronger, more capable person than your brother. When you pave the way for someone VERY competant, you really are not helping them. When you pave the way for someone much LESS competant, it is because you dont feel as though they can make it on thier own.  Your dad probably believes in you, and what you have, you have made yourself, you work hard, and you can own that confidence. Your brother and his wife/girlfriend cannot have pride in what they havent accomplished on thier own.

chicklet

Answer by chicklet at 9:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2008