I cannot get my 4 year old on a bedtime routine does anybody have any suggestions?

Johnthansmom

Asked by Johnthansmom at 11:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to be firm. Start with a warm bath, then put him in bed, and read to him. Start slightly earlier than he normally dozes, and make it five minutes earlier each night. Also, if he's not taking a nap during the day, make him at least have a rest. Sleep begets more sleep.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• What works for me is have dinner at the same time everynight, and then bathtime at the same time. Also have the rest of the day on somewhat of a schedual. Like wake your little one up at the same time, breakfast , nap etc. Telling your little one you " 10 minutes then it's bathtime (does not have to be exactly 10 at this point ) but as long as your little one has some warning before time is upt they seem to respond better. It really helps with my 3 year old leaving the park (she is proned to a meltdown with out a heads up about time to go). good luck
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• oh yeah... DON'T GIVE IN once you give in just a little they know they are in charge. I agree with o.p. firm is the key
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Be consistant. if this is anew thing then it can take a while to really establish it. Write it out so you know what you guys do for it and soon it will be just routine. My kids at 2 and 3 were hard and it took a good year for us to have a good routine that just flowed. Before that we had a more layed back schedule. Now its a piece of cake with 3 we have a 2,5 and 7 yr old.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I put them to bed, then put a chair in th hall way, and read to them. Wasn't always that easy, but I noticed the more I stuck to my guns and the routine, it gradually got better. Now I don't sweat it. It's relaxing to me and I enjoy it.
    lizpiz

Answer by lizpiz at 11:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• consistency! that's the key! a routine HAS to be the same very night. Same times for everything, same order, everything.

the other ladies had good advice and rest time (we call it quiet time) and the time warnings "5 more minutes" kind of thing, I use our kitchen timer. It has worked surprisingly well on my 4yo, it dings and he does it without a fight.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010