If you favor the Mosque near ground zero

were you also among the democrats who where AGAINST the Dubai Ports deal because as the democrats claimed "WE would be putting terrorts in charge of our ports"

Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer said: “The question that needs to be answered is whether or not they [Dubai] can be trusted to operate our ports in this post 9/11 world. we stand behind the victims of 9-11".

“Should we be outsourcing our own security?”

Opponents of the deal are planning to lodge their protests at a Senate hearing planned for later this month.

New York Governor George Pataki and Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich said they were investigating their options, including the possibility of cancelling port management contracts.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 11:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry, not at all familiar with the Dubai Ports deal. So my honest answer is no, I was not among them. I looked it up, though...and it's equally honest of me to say I'd have been opposed to outsourcing to ANY foreign power, whether the United Arab Emirates or Canada.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i dont favor or not favor it. i am intelligent enough to not be racist or bigoted towards a whole group of people in that culture/religion based on the fruitcakes terrorists of 9/11. the mosque has nothing to do with 9/11. as to thid dubai ports thing, i have no clue what you are talking about.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I really don't think you can compare the two. Apples and Oranges Bush administration had agreed to LEASE SEVERAL U S PORTS to a company bought by Dubai Port World, Schumer argued that allowing foreign control of the country’s ports COULD INCREASE terrorism. Which I agree with.

THE mosque is supposed to be built on Park Place. Park Place may only be two blocks away from Ground Zero, but neither can you see Ground Zero from the site where the center will be built nor the other way around. ...So it's not like those who stand at the World Trade Center will have to see the mosque/cultural center. The two places are not even in the same area of New York City - Ground Zero is part of the Financial District, while Park Place is in TriBeCa'
    The terrorists were Muslims and so we'll punish all 1.6 billion Muslims in the world for what a dozen extremist.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Pictures of surrounding area of ground zero and a map of where mozque will be built.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2010/08/dear_rest-of-am.php

Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• WOW! I cannot believe people don;t remember the Dubai Port issue....considering Bush was under their microscope at all times!!! Selective memory, I guess!!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0810/Dubai_Ports_World.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• no idea what its abt
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• "In order to win the war on terror, " he said during the furor, "we have got to strengthen our relationships and friendships with moderate Arab countries in the Middle East. UAE is a committed ally in the war on terror. They are a key partner for our military in a critical region."http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0810/Dubai_Ports_World.html

I still don't think you can compare the two. Leasing American ports to Dubai Port World and American muslims building a mosque two blocks away from ground zero which is their right to freedow of religion. They were not the 9/11 terriorists.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• were you also among the democrats who where AGAINST the Dubai Ports deal because as the democrats claimed "WE would be putting terrorts in charge of our ports"

No

and it was only dems against that deal??

and just an FYI..I don't FAVOR anything, I just see no reason to NOT build a community center.

and apples & oranges. One has ZERO to do with securing anything.........its just a community center with a place to worship as well

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

•  God your a LIAR

The state-owned Dubai company seeking to manage some terminal operations at six American ports dropped out of the deal on Thursday, bowing to an unrelenting bipartisan attack in Congress that swept aside President Bush's efforts.

Mr. Warner made his announcement amid indications that the White House was looking for a way out of the confrontation. A delegation of Republican Congressional leaders told Mr. Bush on Thursday morning that his threat to veto Congressional action against transferring control of the terminals would not stop Congress from blocking the deal.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Republicans held the house then correct, so WHO stopped it??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2010