I believe that I may be suffering Postpartum depression... adult content

They have suggested that I go on anti-depressants. One problem with this is that I don't believe in taking medication unless you can be hurt by the illness... Would you take them?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just wanted to tell you that I used to feel the same way as you did but I have suffered with Depression my whole life. I could see that it was affecting my Husband and Kids so I decided to start counseling and my counselor convinced me to take meds. She said that a lot of times meds will not work alone but counseling and meds hand in hand work well together. She also explained to me that having Depression is just like having Hypothyroidism or any other physical illness, it is actually an imblanace in your brain and that can be shown on MRI/CT Scan by the right people. Anyway, They put me on the safest antidrpressant- zoloft and with a low dose of that and counseling I am doing so much better. Please get help and take the meds Hun. Depression can get out of control so quickly.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• postpartum is serious. it can sneak up and get a lot worse then you realize before you think about it. Hell yes i would take the meds.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, postpartum depression and/or psychosis will hurt you, hurt your family and especially hurt your children. Mental illness is a brain disease. Brain diseases hurt people just like physical diseases do. Counseling is important as well. I hope you decide to get treatment.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You and your child can be hurt by this illness....so yes, I would take them. This is not something to mess around with, it can very serious and dangerous very quickly. Never be afraid to help yourself. You and your baby deserve it. It's nothing to be ashamed of either, it's very common and it's hormones, nothing to do with your character or anything else. Good luck I hope they help and you feel a difference quickly.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The best way to take care of your child(ren) and your family, is to take care of yourself. A big part of being the mom/wife is that you have to do what has to be done, like it or not. So if you're in a funk, you need to figure out how to get yourself out of that funk. If that means changing your routine, do it. If it means taking meds, do it. But you've got to decide for your situation.

Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• go look for a theripist who has expirence working with post partum depression. medication does not always have to be the first step.
    ocielee

Answer by ocielee at 12:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well most people would consider suicide to fall in the 'you can be hurt by the illness" category, and there are a lot of people that get that deep into all kinds of depression (not just postpartum). Of course that's typically the worst case scenario.

If it's really PPD it's likely significantly effecting your life in a negative way (one of the most concerning to me is the impact it can have on the level of care the child(ren) get). It's really up to you to decide how bad your case is. I would encourage you to try some non-medicinal mood elevators before medication (if you haven't already), like exercise, good nutrition, getting outside, support group, etc. If those aren't helping (or aren't helping enough), then yeah, the medication may be the way to go.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i am against taking anything kind of like you are and then one day it got so bad i tried to hurt myself. my husband and doctors didn't really give me a choice after that
    riss280

Answer by riss280 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If it's not too bad right now, I'd suggest starting with counseling since your opposed to medication. I had depression before, during, and after depression (not postpartum, just clinical depression) I originally started in therapy but then I started getting suicidal thoughts and all that so I started on meds. Depression runs in my family so it was more chemical then situational. So yeah Depression can hurt you and others...all you have to do is look at the news and some of the horrible things that have happened by women with postportem, although those are usually really extreme. Any ways...hope things turn out well and on the plus side, postpartum is usually temporary.
    Angyll24

Answer by Angyll24 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010