Do you have a toddler that refuses to talk, and would rather just scream and point about everything, happy or sad?

He is number 3! My other 2 never did this. I don't treat him any different, I work with the same way I did my other 2. Just wondering if anyone els is going through this?

1nglmom3

Asked by 1nglmom3 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my middle didn't communicate until he was 4, but he did start parroting words at 3.
    But we found out he had autism.

I do know kids, not with autism, that just didn't talk until they were 3 or 4. all was fine.

try teaching him some sign language

try to curb the screaming.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son has a speech delay and he has been going though early childhood since Feb. He doens't sream but he does say some words and sentences but not a whole lot. If he wants something he will point or try to say what wants. I would have him check out with early childhood invertion in your area and it's free.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have been there and done that. Have you tried using sign language with your words? It was a technique we used with my children cause it helps give them a sign to associate with a word. It is easy and you have to be consistent. Try grab a book or a lesson online to get an idea for a few words once they start talking they wont stop lol :)
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i had two older kids then i had jeff, jeff didn't have to talk he had the other two what ever he wanted they would ask for it'i would just give it to jeff.he could talk but why talk if some one can do it for you,it will happen give it time .jeff talks non stop oh yes he is know 25years old he has made up for lost time
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yup mine does this I'm trying to work with her but nothing is working...
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is 17 months old and we have had the hardest time with him not talking. I've been teaching him to sign and that has helped wonders. Even just learning simple words like "milk" or "cracker" can help you not feel so frustrated whenever he wants something.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I refused to answer him unless he talked... If he pointed or screamed at me I would move out of his way. I also didn't use "baby talk" with him. & when he would say what he wanted I would tell him thank you
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:33 AM on Aug. 19, 2010