how do you cut corners in your home I'm in need of some tips please

a new school year is near and we are tight right now we only have 500 for clothes and supplies it it doable should we buy new or thrift shop i've never thrift shop before do you really find good things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How many kids are you shopping for? I've spent approx $300 this school year for 2 kids and myself by shopping sales and watching for deals. I don't buy used clothing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I shop a lot at thrift stores and yards sales. You can find some really nice stuff but sometimes you have to really look and be willing to go to several places. I have gone yard sale-ing with $20 and came back home with a truck full of clothes for my boys, all in really good shape. I haven't had to do back to school shopping as my boys aren't quite old enough, but I would say it's doable on that budget.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• for how many kids?
    you can find good stuff at thrift stores, but it takes time
    you can get a lot at Walmart for little or maybe try Ross for stuff too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Shopping at consignments shops is a great idea!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• $500 sounds like alot to me. How many kids? What Ages? Uniforms or street clothes?
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• WOW thats alot... how many kids? & to cut back only get whats needed on the list for right now.... Clothes, walmart/kmart/target/ OLD Navy (they normally have some good deals going on.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i thrift shop all the time when my kids where younger even now the kids are older i thrift shop.
    and the clothes our great why pay top dollar when you can get the same thing in thrift store the only thing i don't buy there is underwear it still feels to me that should be new some places have bag day where you fill up a bag for so much and when you are a budget this is the best way the only time i bought new was when it was their birthday or chirstmas
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Try places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross etc....you can get quality, designer brands..for probably the same or less than clothes at walmart (which in my opinion are crap!). $500 is definitely enough. You could spend $150-200 on each kid (i'm guessing 2 kids) and buy a bunch of stuff....after that...thrift shop if need be. I also don't buy used clothing, because so much laundering breaks down the fabric.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Do you have a consignment or resell store like Children's Orchard or Wee Peats? Otherwise, Walmart, Target, Khol's are all good quality, cheap for clothes and school supplies.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I shopped online for 2 kids and got everything for 250.00 (Walmart & Target) check it out.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2010