How do you deal with a bully when it's your own child?

My daughter fell into the wrong crowd and has been bullying other girls, but these other girls also bully her. I've tried grounding her, taking away priviledges, constant supervision, talking to her about it. But every chance she gets she's right back at it. What do I do?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I am betting it is more of a peer pressure thing then a really desire to "bully". I would try getting her involved in some after school activities that would limit her interaction with these other girls.

Karate, Dance, Drama, Sports, Teen Youth Groups, Cheerleading, Modeling, Tutoring, Mentoring - Big Brothers/Big Sisters, habitat for humanity...the options are endless.

Find out what her dreams are and help her find an activity that will help her to acheive that dream
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i always wondered the parents of bullies knew what was going on or not. i am pleased to see you do and even more happy to see that you are getting involved. as someone who was bullied in junior high i am happy. sorry this is kind of weird? but thank you. really i would sit the child down and talk about what is going on at home and school.. see if maybe he has a problem that is making her act like this? idk. i wish u luck
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, I've pulled her out of school and am seeking mental health assessments. She bullies her siblings too, well, her closest in age sister. I'm really worried about her.
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• how old is she?
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, how old is she? If she is under 17 then I would be the parent and get more control over who she is spending her time with. They are clearly the problem. Make sure she has oppurtunities to do fun things with people you approve of. Dont let her do things with those friends and tell her why very honestly. Then ask "Would you like to go to (concert, beach, fair, amusement park, mall, movie, dinner, etc.) with (girl you approve of). Then drive her there.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• maybe you cantry making her spend more time in other stff like extra curriculum activities so she gets the chance to meet other people and hopefully not bullythem
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010