For those who dont believe in god, what do you tell your child when someone dies?

For my husband & I, our son told us. We didn't know what to tell him due to our different faiths. (Im wiccan, Hubbys Not) But He came up with the idea that when people pass away they go & become stars........ It made him feel better knowing that his Papa was a star. He likes knowing he can go outside & see his Papa every night.....

I was just sitting out side & It made me think, what does everyone else who doesn't believe in god say to their children?

lilmoosesmom

Asked by lilmoosesmom at 12:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have raised my son, now 17. that one of the most wonderful parts of life is not really knowing anything for sure, and that the best thing a person can do is learn as much as they can about science, life and about all faiths and philosophies and to determine his/her own conclusion. My belief? We are all universal energy (matter, solid, liquid, gas, imagination) and that when our physical body dies, we return to universal energy. My son's current belief? I think he's leaning toward Buddhism.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I tell them physically what happens but that no one knows anything beyond that.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We're a multifaith family- dh is an atheist with a Hindu family, I'm a Buddhist with a nominally Christian family. We tell our kids that the body returns to the earth, and that no one really knows where the energy or soul goes, but that different people believe different things. Then we talk about the different options- heaven/hell, reincarnation, reabsorption into the universe, or the possibility that it's just like being unconscious for all eternity. The kids have decided that dead people go to heaven or are reincarnated... I'm fine with them believing that, even if it may not be what I personally believe. I really don't know what happens when we die and I'm okay saying that... I'm equally okay with the kids thinking about it and deciding what it is that they think.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My husbands dad died in December and we told our girls that we don't know what happens to people when they die. They know what death means, physiology wise. We said that we know Grandpa was a good person...kind thoughtful and loving, so whatever happened to him we think it was good. We asked them to tell us what they thought happened to people when they died...they came up with answers like your child's star answer.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• That they die and are gone now but if we remember them they'll always be a part of us.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm Christian so I'm not gonna actually answer, but I was curious as to what other people would say. For those of you who have said their child mentioned them becoming stars...Have your kids ever seen The Lion King? If so, they mention in the movie that that's what stars are.
    Angyll24

Answer by Angyll24 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I tell them that their body returned to the Earth, but that their spirit is in Summerland. Hubby and I believe in reincarnation, so when we say that the person who passed will be born again, it helps them feel better.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My children were 11 and 15 when they were first faced with the loss of a loved one so they were old enough to understand.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my mamaw & papaw give a very dramatic story of going to heaven but when he asked me i tell him the truth..."i don't know because i've never died and papaw doesnt know either" I tell him they put your body in the ground as your final resting place but nobody knows where your spirit goes.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I do believe in God. But I prefer to teach my children a less than spiritual lesson of death... When someone dies we simply tell them that when someone dies they "go away" - that's it. They aren't here any more and we can't see them any more.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010