I need a weapon

What would be a good weapon to protect myself from stray dogs and from people who might want to rob me? I am going to visit a country where both of these are plenty, but I have two toddlers so I need something that they can't easily set off, like a pepper spray would probably be a bad idea.

glenndoir

Asked by glenndoir at 12:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Travel

• Before you arm yourself you should check out the local laws where you are going. You don't want to end up being arrested for having an illegal weapon, especially if you're alone with the kids. And how do you plan on getting it there?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My idea was to first figure out which weapon and then I will check whether it is legal or not. I plan on flying there. It is my home country. I haven't seen it in 7 years and I have 2 kids that my parents haven't met yet, so I have to go.
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you're flying, I would be concerned about if they would let you have it on the plane, unless you were going to buy it there. I have pepper spray, and the one I have does have a safety type thing so my kids can't set it off by accident.. I really don't know what else other than a hand gun. I carry a pocket knife, but that usually isn't much good against a big dog. Could you carry some sort of club? Like the police carry?
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• So why can't I put the weapon (whatever that is) in the other bag, the big one, not the carry-on?
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Most weapons are NOT allowed on flights. Also consider that many weapons can be turned against you VERY easily unless you are well trained with them. You might be more likely to hurt or kill one of your own children by accident.

Is it possible to fly the grandparents to the US? Or meet in :neutral" territory?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It is very rare for dogs to attack stranger. You have more to fear from being attacked by people. I wouldn't take my toddlers anywhere I thought I needed a weapon.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Pepper spray is actually on the forbidden list. Consider carefully, because you could get yourself tossed in the TSA pokey and banned from flying.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The grandparents wanted to come here twice and the US embassy denied their visas. The reason: they are considered a risk for illegal immigration because they are under 60.
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Then perhaps safe neutral ground would be your best bet?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• No, I have to go home. My family doesn't agree with my fears, so they would never understand. Plus, I don't have money to pay for everyone elses trip and they can't afford it. Plus I miss seeing my country. I guess I'll ask someone from there what could I use to protect myself. people over there think that if you live in AMerica, you are a millionaire, that is why I am afraid of robbers. Stray dogs do bite over there, 120 bites per day overall in the country. I will be there for a whole month. I need protection.
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2010