Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Question about child support

I recently split from my husband and of course I plan on filing for support. The woman that he's w/ now has a child by him and a child from a previous relationship. My question is, if they end up moving in together could he claim her daughter ( not his bio dd) as a dependent. The biological father is already making child support payments for her daughter if that means anything.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • He shouldn't be able to claim her because there is already an agreement in place for her. One of her bio parents would claim her.

    Answer by Erin814 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • have to be bio parent...if the daughter is living with them full time then SHE could claim her, which is basically the same thing since they live together.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 1:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • I believe he would be responsible for his children first and if they are in the same household the child will probably be taken into consideration. I don't know how it works in your state, but here in Wisconsin it is a percentage of income according to how many children are involved.

    Answer by jillybean703 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • but where there is someone making child support payments for that child, I'm pretty sure she would be taken out of the equation for child support. He may be able to claim her as a dependent for tax concerns depending on the arraingment with the bio dad.

    Answer by jillybean703 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN