Question about child support

I recently split from my husband and of course I plan on filing for support. The woman that he's w/ now has a child by him and a child from a previous relationship. My question is, if they end up moving in together could he claim her daughter ( not his bio dd) as a dependent. The biological father is already making child support payments for her daughter if that means anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• He shouldn't be able to claim her because there is already an agreement in place for her. One of her bio parents would claim her.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• no...you have to be bio parent...if the daughter is living with them full time then SHE could claim her, which is basically the same thing since they live together.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I believe he would be responsible for his children first and if they are in the same household the child will probably be taken into consideration. I don't know how it works in your state, but here in Wisconsin it is a percentage of income according to how many children are involved.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• but where there is someone making child support payments for that child, I'm pretty sure she would be taken out of the equation for child support. He may be able to claim her as a dependent for tax concerns depending on the arraingment with the bio dad.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2010