Decorating question...

We have an open concept house. I have a big mirror hanging on my dining room wall, the wall is brown and plain but I don't want to paint the whole wall turqouise...So I'm thinking of just putting a turquoise paint border around the mirror?? Do you think this will look cheap or do you think it will work. Thanks!

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 1:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think it will look strange. No offense, but it will look like you painted around the mirror.

Personally I think one strong accent wall in a dining room would be cool. Turquious is a nice bold color. If a mirror takes up most of that wall anyway, then it will tone down some of the boldness anyway.

I like the chair rail idea too. Breaking up the wall either high or low would work too.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• if it were me...I would put a white chair rail and paint the top half of the room turquoise and bottom leave brown. then you will have the mirror to break it up...I think it would be too harsh to just paint the frame on a totally brown wall.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have no opinion, as turquoise and brown are a very unique combination. Not my style. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It sounds great! You could also do a chair rail to break up the wall a little.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, if it were me I think that would look tacky but I'd probably have to see it. I think the idea of 1 wall a different color would work and I like the chair rail idea mabe do 1/2 turquois and have a lighter beige.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you do a good job with the painting, no one would ever know that you didn't paint behind the mirror. And big mirrors are a pain to move. You don't take down the kitchen cabinets when you change the paint color, do you? Just do a really good job of it, and you've got an accent wall.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with Niki_sd. Except I think the torquoise and brown color combo has been overdone. That and the pink and brown color combo.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would have to see a pic
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:10 AM on Aug. 23, 2010