How does child care assistance work?

I am a newly single mom if three and I plan to go back to work after yrs of being a homemaker. I know I'll need help paying for child care. My oldest is only 3. However, I heard that some states only allow you to apply if you already have a job. I'm not understanding this because wouldn't you need child care to go look for a job? And even if I found one I would then need to apply and then wait to be approved. What would I do while waiting? How would I afford child care during that time? I will be living in PA if you need to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, the best thing for you to do is to call your state office tomorrow. Here in Missouri, they do say you have to have a full time job to even apply for it. The rates are also listed on the state website here.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yea it doesnt make sense that u have to have a job already. I have used it for work and school in the past and i will to finish school and work again in the fall. call your office. i know you can look up DHS for iowa online and get a website wit info. our local offices are closing down so we have online apps for child care assistance too. good luck!
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Depends on your state
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 6:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It really depends on your state, but some states have programs where you can take your children for a few hours for the job search and then once you have the job you have to get the assitance set up. I would go into you local agency and actually talk to someone, in my experience you get answers and results quicker in person. Good luck. I've been there. Daycare is expensive.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010