Do you have neighbors who are racist?

I live in a great neighborhood, truly blessed. Anyway a young couple moved on our street last summer, and when they saw there were African Americans on the street, they installed ADT. No one else in my neighborhood have security systems, not even me. We have these neighborhood watch meetings, and so far the couple have not attended not one. So my next door neighbor went down to let them know where and when we meet and they refused. They told my neighbor that they were going to move out into the county where they fit in. Was this racist in any way? I've lived here for 5 years and I never thought most people on our street were this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, my neighborhood is very diverse.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Not that I know of. But then again I haven't really asked, or noticed anything.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Did they tell you that is why they installed ADT?

I don't know if my neighbors are racist, I've never asked them and they haven't ever said or done anything to indicate that they are.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm curious too how you know why they installed the security system...
    I don't think they've done anything for you to label them as racist.
    I know plenty of racist people and having a security system isn't a way of defining a racist. Most of the time you can't tell they are unless you get on that subject with them and they tell you themselves they are.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes... Which is odd because I lived next to them for 2 years now and they are nice people. That was till they called our land lord, told him that we had black people coming over to the house and "we don't seem like the type of people to hang around with 'those people' ". I just wanted to shake her and say "cripes lady, I'm half black. You have one of 'those people' living next door!!!".
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• ... and don't get me started on the crazy lady down by the park that has had another "colored friend" besides me...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Not as neighbors, but I have know people that were. And they weren't all white either.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• there was something said when we had our first person of color move in within range of our house - yea people talked about "there goes the neighborhood"
    I was not a fan as i grew up in a very diverse school and i was raised to not judge by the color of skin. sadness
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I do know racist people, for some reason they seem to think that because I'm white and my husbands white that it's okay to bring up racist topics like that. I always interrupt with something like "I need to go call Mama D. you know hunny that black woman who helped raise me and whom I love dearly." It generally shuts people up. What I hate hate HATE the most is when people think that because "no one who'll be offended" is around to hear it that they can use th N word. Oh my lord it just grates on my nerves and I feel bad for my step mom because I know that I can't introduce her to these people because of their ignorance. It's an annoying life, when I'm trying to move forward and teach my children that people are people no matter how they look and everyone else is trying to make distinctions.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 1:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Half my neighbors don't even speak english so I wouldn't know if they're racist.

How do you know they werent already planning on getting ADT? And they might just be private people. Not everyone wants to join in on the neighborhood activites, we don't. But that doesn't mean that I'm racist against any of my neighbors.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 3:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010