I want to fire her so bad.

I have had this assistant who keeps screwing up. She does about 75% of her work perfect, but then 25% either goes to heck, or is not done at all. She always has an attitude. Her day is set up from beginning to end. 7a to 2p, lunch from 10-11a. everyone else comes in at 8a, so she has a full hour to get small work done. like start the coffee pot, make sure stuff is organized, clean, put together, etc.
after staff gets there she simply files for us, runs errands, etc.
I feel like the job is simple but who knows.

I don't want to fire her, I'd rather her quit...She is passed her probationary hours and is now working regularly, so if I fire her I have to pay out her vacation...pfff stupid policy I agreed to.
If she quits I do not have to give her the pay. What should I do? cut her hours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, cut her hours. That way it will be her decision to leave, but yet, there is still work available to her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think you should talk to her. Cutting hours is the most ridiculous thing employers do these days to get people to quit. I think it's a very cheap shot. Give her a few weeks to straighten up after your talk and inform her that if she doesn't step it up you're going to have to reduce her hours to get someone else in that can do the job competently. Then, hire someone part time. If she feels threatened she will likely obey.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Give her some more things to do, if she can't keep up with what she is supposed to do then firing her would be justified. If you do fire her, be sure that you have good reason to. But also remember, we all can make mistakes.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Seriously, have a talk with her. Your the boss, it's part of your job description. Do NOT make her miserable. I had a boss do that to me. I don't know if he ever had a problem with me because he never came to me and talked to me. He just started treating me like crap. I dreaded going to work and I cried the moment I got home. My (future) MIL was his assistant manager and she was pissed at what he was doing and tried to get him to stop. He tried to drive me into quitting, but I stuck it out because we needed the income. He eventually fired me, but I didn't get any benefits or anything because I was just part-time. I had nightmares from the way he treated me. You say she does 75% of her job perfectly which seems like a pretty good job to me. Sounds like she needs direction about the other 25%. Sit down with her and explain what she needs to improve on (and that you will not tolerate the attitude), she might do it better.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Your=You're...
    thatgirl70

• I dont mean that in a harsh way, so dont vote me down boss! But really, I hated coffee duty and clean up duty at my jobs. Sit her down and talk to her,,,tell her that her job is on the line here. Honestly,,,and vote me down again,,but I hated coffee duty at my job, Why does it have to be this one girl anyway?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• To answer PP's...
    What if I cut her from working 7-2p to working 7-noon for the next weeks schedule? so 35-25hrs weekly

I already have some resume's, from students at the local college, they just drop them off every so often. Maybe I will actually call and set up some interviews for Thursday and Friday. I will have a talk with her tomorrow morning when I go in, but I still plan on doing interviews tomorrow and the next day, maybe that will show her I am not joking, or making light of this and she can be replaced.

@anon, why do I need to cut coffee duty? Grind coffee beans, put them in the pot, make sure there is water, set timer, done.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I did not down vote LOL look above your answers, for some reason everyone is getting down voted
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I only have one assistant, I opted out of having 2 and offered benefits and bonuses for just one. So she is the go-to for errands, an office of 4 so she doesn't have too much work, but she stays busy, at least, that's what she makes it seem like.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• HAve you talked to her before about this or have you sat silently brewing your anger about it? Do you write people up at your workplace? do you have a system for repremands suh as verbal warning then written warning with a workplan to solve the issues etc.? Also yes coffee duty is demeaning but someone has to do it and it is normally the lowest person on the totem pole. in my previous worplace whoever arrived first started coffee that way no one person was the coffee person and no one felt like the low person.

Personally if you were my boss and hadnt spoken to me about the issues and you started interviewing people my attitude probably would improve any. When i was the one with the assistant i always talked to them about issues and they always appreciated that i was kind about it and gave suggestions and listened to their reasons for why things happened.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2010