What can I do to get my son to say more words?

My son is 22 months and babbles a lot and says some words. But he is nowhere near 50 words like I am reading about. I think he knows more words then he actually speaks.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some are just slower than others. My granddaughter didn't say a word until she was 2, still we cannot understand anything she says. She will eventually go to speech therapy, I am sure, but the Dr. said there was no rush. She'll get there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• he probably does. dd loves to be read to, and she's started pointing to things and naming them in her books (which is how I read to her, the storylines don't really make sense at her age). so maybe that? I wouldn't worry, though. frankly, she says things that I think are babbles, and then later either I or dh figures out it's supposed to be a word. most of what she says is still a complete mystery
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you are concerned, have him evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention, but soon, because they will only work with them until their 3rd birthday. Our son started at 21 months until he was 3 y/o. Even with that, he wasn't saying much until 26 months, then he started rapidly expanding.

Things you can do: Give him choices and praise him for every utterance. "Good try!" Red or blue, bowl or plate, fork or spoon, cow or pig. Label everything when you play with him. Sing songs. Read books twice a day, point to pictures. Play farm and use the animal sounds. Cow, moo. Horse, Nay. Dog, woof. The sounds animals make are the first letter sounds that he'll make.

ECI will come to your house & is usually free. They play with the kids and keep them in their own environment where they feel comfortable. Yes, he could catch up on his own, but what if he doesn't? I'm glad that we did it. He would have been so behind if we hadn't.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I talk to my son (2.5) all the time, he's getting to where he can almost have a conversation with me. I show him things, tell him the word for it, we read books and talk about the pictures. If he wants something, he has to tell me what it is, I don't let him point to things. Every child develops at their own pace, my friend's daughter didn't say a lot until she was almost 3, then just started talking one day.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2010