s/o the firing question

I'm going to cut her hours, I will write her eval tonight and put it in her file so she can see why. I will wait to hire another person, if she can improve I will mark her eval private so it won't be used as a bad reference later, otherwise the eval will stay. Is that fair?

and is coffee duty really that bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• *workplaces, I am really tired and cant read properly tonight.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think that sounds fair, but i dont understand what you mean about marking it private? even if you fire her down the road you can not give her a bad reference when she seeks other employment you can only varify that she was employed and how long, you are not allowed to legally disclose the terms she left under or what kind of employee she was.

This might be a good time for you to do some research on HR and the how to properly handle discipline and termination in the workplace. That way your rear is covered and you dont do anything to cause problems for yourself down the road.

Oh and yes in some worplaces coffee duty can be bad it can be a sign of your importance or lack there of in the workplace, in other places its not a big deal and no one cares as long as they have thier coffee IV drip all day long lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I know, I have had assistants before. The eval being private is like saying it never even happened. ex. say I gave her a bad eval, pay cut and hours cut, and then she does not correct her work behavior in 2weeks, the eval will stay and she will be less likely to get a raise or bump in hours later. If I make it private it basically isn't in her file. So say 2 years from now, I forget exactly how she worked, they ask me questions, yes or no questions mostly, I can only go off of this bad eval, if it is gone then I must not have had anything bad to say so she will get a good reference.

I figure if there is a bad eval, then the worst thing I can say is that I will not hire her again to a future employer, but If I were to make a reference call and the last employer said they wouldn't hire, I would not hire them either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010