What do you think about spanking your disrespectfull child?

I spank my children when they are way out of line..... If you have another idea about how I can keep my child in line without this "spanking" let me know.

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Spanking was effective when I was growing up, I see nothing wrong with it as long at there is still a difference between and spanking and a beating. A little swat on the but never hurt anyone.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 12:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No, if anything I think not spanking is more disrespectful... Because if you respect them you want them to be the best they can be in life, and discipline, teaching and punishment all help them become that best person later in life!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• How old is your child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I spank my five year old. Although with him being my first & so young, I felt like I was spanking/yelling too much. So now we have time out. (It use to be a chair, but I now make him stand at the wall, with his hands at his side, & nose touching the way for as many minutes as he is old.) if that doesnt work, then I judge by what he has done. Like if he doesn't do his chorus because hes watching tv he doesn't get a bedtime movie. (trying to cut those out all together) If he doesn't do what I tell him to, because hes playing on the computer/xbox then he gets them taken away for a day & so on.

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I myself didn't spank much mainly because my Mother beat me a lot, but my S/O would give our son a smack now & then. But I always felt, your trying to teach your child not to hit by smacking, it's sort of not sending the right meessage. I would think your son saw his Dad hit a woman (you) and the G/F, so he thinks its ok to hit his sister. When my My Grd-son gets upset, but not hitting unless hit first, I try to take him aside later by ourselves and see if he has a problem he wants to discuss. A lot of times he does. Maybe less time with the ex would help if possible, kids lets say, monkey see, monkey do. Hope it works out for you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• eight four and fifteen months and a three week old lol but not him :)
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We only use spanking as a last resort, but we do do it. First they (ages 6 and 3, both boys) just get talked to (depending on the severity of what they did wrong). If they do it again then they stand against the wall with their nose touching, hands behind their backs. They hate that! Then if they continue to misbehave we will spank. It is getting far and few in between that we need to spank now, but it still does happen on occasion. Im not afraid to discipline in public either. I have put my sons on the wall at a store or what not. I wont spank in public tho.
    ILoveMyKeiki

Answer by ILoveMyKeiki at 3:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• do you use a warning system? how old are your kids? first of all a 15 month old isnt old enough for spanking to have any affect on stopping behaviours. just too young of a child. its up to you to redirect to other things and reaffirm better behaviours. the 8 year old might be affected better by losing things he or she cares about til they earn them back and loss of priveledges.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• that it doesn't do anything but let out your own anger and instill a resentment and fear in your own kid. It doesn't really stop the kid from doing whatever it is again. Didn't stop me, I was just more careful about it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You have to find out what punishment works better for that particular child; trial and error. My three kids all get different punishments because I took the time to figure out what would bother them them the most. One gets to stand in the corner, one gets extra chores and one gets no computer except for homework.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2010