mother of kids going to school for the first time.....

my 5 year old is starting school in 2 weeks and I'm already having mild panic attacks thinking about it, she was born with a cancerous birthmark and has had alot of surgeries she still has one more before its all gone but she has alot of scarring and it is noticeable, usually people ask and I'm there to answer there questions but there are some children who are vile and will say "eww" or say mean things and I'm usually there to console her, now I wont be and I'm scared that my daughter will be made fun of or not have any friends and find school to be a bad experience. Any advice? also my youngest daughter is starting head start shes 3 and does everything with her sister and now she wont have her there how to I explain that her sister wont be there and get her through it?!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 2:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have been throuhg this 3 times and i have a son with autism so i understand the fear of not being there. what i can tell you is that your fear is normal but make sure you dont share that fear with your child because that is where you will have issues. does your child know how to explain the scars for herself? it helps if she can, most kids will ask and then leave it at that. talk to the teacher ahead of time explain your concern and she can deal with it as it comes up in a way the kids understand. at this age kids are more curious than mean.

dont worry about them being apart, its good for them to go out on their own and become their own people, it wont change their bond. my boys are 3 years apart and have only gone to the same school for one year out of the 8 my oldest has been in school. they are still best friends but love having their own friends and time during the day.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• thank you so much for the advice, yes, she knws to tell people that its her birthmark and that its a scar. I didn't want this birthmark to define my daughter but there are some mean kids, I've seen her cry and seperate herself from the crowd because people make remarks about her birthmark I understand that the only way for her to get over this and make it better is to go through it but shes my daughter and don't want her to feel bad and cry and not have any friends. I'm def gonna pray that God protect her and be with her always, especially when I'm not there.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I can honestly tell you at this age girls are much kinder than boys, my daughter and her friends are so sweet and caring with each other they will be in 1st grade this year but last year i saw some amazing things with them and it makes you feel good to see how they bond.

boys have a dont really care attitude but will ask lots of questions if it looks interesting. the age to worry about is 3rd grade thats when kids turn mean and begin to seperate in to smaller groups. both of my boys have suffered the 3rd grade curse and even the teachers admit it is just one of those very rough years.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• really omgosh! great! Yeah I remember 3rd grade I hated it but hopefully the friends she makes now will remain her friends then also.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 3:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2010