Is anyone else NOT teaching their kid about Santa??

I am not, I feel it is sad to lie. I dont think he will be missing out on anything.
What are your experiences?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 2:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't expect this question so early in the year, but I'm with you on this. My kids do learn about Christmas but they do not learn about Santa Clause, they know about him but we do not celebrate him in our home. For one he's not real for two it's taking away the purpose of what Christmas is really about and to be completely honest no fat man in a red suit is gonna take credit for my hard work and the 40+hrs a week I work for there gifts! Alot of people say that it's ruining there imagination let me get the definition of imagination: the product of imagining; a conception or mental creation, often a baseless or fanciful one........santa clause is an image your giving them not something there making up on there own with there own imagination....besides I think its creepy to tell your children that a stranger is coming into your house to give them gifts, kinda like a stranger giving them candy on the street.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My daughter will definitely be learning about Santa this Christmas =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think it's a lie I think it's a fun tradition. it didn't take me long to figure out my parents were the jolly old fella. But my Christmas memories about Santa are about the enjoyment they got out of surprising us.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• it is not a lie! Santa is based on Saint Nicholas who was a very real person! I guess you just dont feel the need to teach your kids ther true meaning of Christmas!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• we have santa my kids love it and i dont feel it is lying. my oldest now knows that i put the gifts out and he wasnt mad and didnt feel i had lied to him. I explained about st nick we looked up the origins and he loved that we had continued the santa tradition. he has been really good about helping keep it going with his brother and sister. After the many debates on here last year i asked my son if he felt i lied or was mad at me and he said no he didnt think i was wrong, he thought it was really cool how we always went out of our way to make it fun.

You will get credit just not right now, down the road your children will remember how hard you worked to make it special and magical, to me that is worth more than being thanked every year for the toys. I know my kids are walking away with wonderful memories of a mom and dad who gave more than gifts, we gave a childhood experience to treasure.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• blubuni you are thinking of the norad website, my kids love it we look at it every year.
    3_ring_circus_

• Yes we let our kids have Santa :) its fun. I don't see it as lying.As with everything its subjective. Not everyone is going to feel the same. We are christian and I feel as long as we don't let it take away from the reason we celebrate(even though its the wrong time of year) Jesus Christ :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 6:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We don't do Santa. Not for any big moral or religious reasons but because Santa just isn't something our families have ever done. My parents and in-laws didn't do it, neither did any of their parents. It's just not something we've ever done.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I didnt believe in Santa when I was growing up, and I dont feel like I lost out on anything. My husband believed in Santa and he doesnt feel like he gained anything from it. We arent doing Santa with our kids. I dont see the point.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• meeeeeeeeee i dont do all the work for some freak to sneak in the house while we sleep to get the credit plus we are christian so that would be a contradiction lol
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 2:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2010