• In the Spotlight:

overreaction or no?

i was txting my SO today asking if we could go run a certain errand this weekend. he said he was going to mexico [he gets his braces done out there bc theyre like 500$ or something] anyway he usually only goes sunday. so i asked your going the whole weekend...saturday AND sunday? he said
"Yeah my mom and my whole family are going down there for my cousins birthday."
Soooo....im not invited....?? nope i wasnt!!!!
we have been together for 3 years!!!! we have a baby on the way!!!

i felt so incredibly hurt by this. i cried.
am i the only one that would have felt like this or would you feel this way as well?
i always have to invite myself to family gatherings. idk why i get along with everyone except his mom who doesnt even talk to me. but everyone else i do...:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• I would be very upset! Did you ask him when he was planning on telling you this? This is terrible! I am so sorry hunny!
    LaBoucane

Answer by LaBoucane at 1:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That is rude...very very rude of him and his family. Start singing that George Strait song about the seashores of old mexico, pack your bags, put them in the car and dare him to tell you to get out! I don't want to sound ominious, but what the heck is he hiding in Mexico (and other family gatherings)?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I would be upset for a couple of reasons. One you didn't even know he was going to stay for the whole weekend and that is family was going on also. Second would be that you were not invited. I think you need to have a talk and ask him why he does not include you in family fuctions. Before I was married I was involved in boyfriends family get togethers and I was not pregnant. Tell him that it hurts your feelings. Being a man he may not even realize that it is a big deal. On the other hand there may be more to it. Good luck.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 1:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You're not overreacting. I suggest you sit him down and have a calm conversation, and let him know he'd better get his priorities together. You are a part of his life, and if he can't treat you as one, then he risks losing you to someone who will. Tell him you and he are starting your own family now...isn't it about time you're accepted by his? YOU and the baby should be number one in his life. Let him know how much this is hurting you, and ask him to tell you why you are being so rudely excluded, what the problem is, and what can be done to help.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Being a "man" is not an excuse. This is just plain ignorant & rude. It speaks volumes of how he really feels about you. IF he was committed there wouldn't even be a quetions of your going--he wouldn't go without you and he would let his family know!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• WELL I ASKED HIM, AND HE SAID HE DIDNT THINK I WOULD GO.... I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE HE GETS THIS IDEA FROM. LIKE I SAID IVE ALWAYS HAD TO INVITE MYSELF YO THINGS AND I GO TO THEM SO BVIOUSLY I WANT TO GO.....??
    Anonymous

• Well, how far along are you? Maybe it has to do with that? Because after 25wks or so my dr suggested not to travel. If thats not the case I to would have been hurt too!
    GabbyP.

Answer by GabbyP. at 1:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I would be very upset. I know that men dont think about us as much as we would like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• well were just in arizona, and im only 21 weeks.. its only like a 4 hour drive or so...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That's probally why he didn't invite you because of his mom. He probally wants to please her if she doesn't like her. Your not alone in that one. Alot of men try to please their mommies and end up causing war between wife and mother. Maybe you need to talk to him and ask him that. I think it's something more serious. If she doesn't like you maybe she feels you need to be excluded and he does not want to upset her. My husband has did things similar to that with me. His mom would even go as far as to say " Oh quit being so whipped by her" if he tried to choose me over her then she would tell his brothers to make fun of him for it so then he would feel like less of a man and choose them over me because his brothers would make fun of him because mommy said so...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2008