Anyone compost?

I just got a tumble composter and I am not really sure how it works.

Once you finish loading everything, how long does it take to be done?
How do I know it is done?
How much water should I add? How often?
What do you do with your compost?
Any tips for a newbie?

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 3:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i compost but i just have the big compost pile at the far end of the back yard, normally this summers yard clippings will be ready by next spring for me to use in the flower beds. i let nature take its course and water it several times a week during the hot months. my kids stir it up when they add each weeks yard clippings.

we have done this for years and it works well for us. I keep wanting to buy the fancy compost barrels but havent done it yet.

does the company that makes it have a website you could look up with tips?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't know anything about this, but here's a bump! GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't know either, but it sounds fun!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We have a large plastic barrel that we cut a door into and use it. we throw all our green scraps in it, I throw in a shovel of garden soil and water it (maybe a quart or so of water) every 2 weeks. We started doing it last year but didn't really stick to it (started using the trash instead of the compost)
    I opened the barrel a few weeks ago, the stuff that'd been sitting in it for the last ten months was probably the best garden soil I have seen in my 38 years. The barrel is only half full, so I'm really going to work with it over winter and use it in spring.
    I roll it whenever we mow the grass, about 2-3 times a month.
    We add to it every day, at least coffee grounds and eggshells if nothing else.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The instructions with the unit were pretty vague. "If it's dry add water. If it smells at dry leaves. When it's done empty it"

But it doesn't tell you how much of each thing to add or how long until I should expect it to be done.
    Niki_sd

Comment by Niki_sd (original poster) at 7:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I've never done a tumble composter. We just use a corner of our backyard (large back yard.)
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Congrats on getting a compost! I have been looking at those myself!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010