Chicken poxs shot

Or so My Son got the Chicken pox shot today he is just a year old i really don't no why he had to get it!!! anyways im wondering how many children actually get them after having the shot? it wouldn't bother me as much if we were going on a trip on the 24th of this month! Thanks for reading lady's! any help would be nice!

TJ89

Asked by TJ89 at 4:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• very young children get exposed all the timeto chicken pox but with it being a rather an easy going illness in kids i dont opt for the chicken pox vaccine. my youngest had it before he was a year anyways
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My older boys didn't get the shots because they weren't required for school at the time. My little guy, being 11 years younger has had it and is getting his boosters today for Kindergarten. I really don't want him bringing it home from school...if you know what I mean. I had chicken pox and mumps as a kid so I'm kinda baffled at why we vaccinate for it. Now, I will say this. My friend's daughters were vaccinated and still got it. They had a much milder case than an unvaccinated peep. So it is pretty much a crap shot.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my son just got his for kindergarten...the nurse said it would make him less likely to get them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My mom and I never had the chickenpox. LOL And my son got the shot for school I think. Can't remember. Either way, I had him get it so I wouldn't. I think my family is immune, something.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The vaccine for chicken pox came out about the time my son started kindergarten and was not required ... he got the chicken pox at 6 years old and he was perfectly fine. By the time my daughter was born, it was one of the many "required" shots but I declined it as I do not believe that it is necessary.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think you have to worry about him getting the chicken pox from the shot itself. I haven't research this one specifically, but as far as I know vaccines can't cause a child to actually develop the disease. Just like getting a flu shot won't give you the flu. That being said, there is a slight chance to contract chicken pox even after being vaccinated. A few of my children's peers have had both the shots and the disease. My kids were vaccinated and boostered and they have never had the chicken pox.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 6:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my son got the vaccine also at that age but he didnt get the chicken pox
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The vaccine CAN cause an outbreak, but it should be mild compared to the full blown live virus. That said all my kids had the shot for school and none of them actually got it. Be aware that they might want to get a shingles vaccine later in life as it is caused by the exact same virus that releases itself back into the weakened immune system.That of course is several years down the road though. If your child does get chickenpox it should be much less severe. So it's not a totally "crap" vaccine. Not really necessary either though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• it's late to refuse... but i would have avoided it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010