Which is the best birth control?

If you use or have used before.
Which birth control do you recommend? Or have you heard of any birth controls to definitely stay away from. Thank You

Seterah1010

Asked by Seterah1010 at 4:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• not having sex? LOL
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I was about to say the same thing? LOL! But i do not recommend the shot I'm on Jolivette tablet and have a regular period no moods swings and sex life is active. I believe you should always get a period that's apart of nature and I don't want to mess up my body but that's my opionion.
    wifeplus4kids

Answer by wifeplus4kids at 4:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I've had bad experience with birth control. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen LO two different times,(which is I think the culprit for my bad story) after my son was born for almost a year (I ended up pregnant anyway), and then for about 8 months after my third child was born. Pregnant again when my third child was nine months old (it's not very effective! lol). After my fourth was born, I tried NuvaRing. When my daughter was 9 months old, I ended up in the hospital for eight days. I had a stroke, and 80% of my brain was clotted. My hematologist has concluded that the blood clots were from one of those forms of birth control- most likely the Ortho because of the severity of the clots, but he said that the NuvaRing probably contributed to it. Now, I can't have anymore babies because of the blood clots. So, if you are only intending to use birth control temporarily- don't use those.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 5:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I like the birth control patch...I got pregnant on the pill and yes I was taking it correctly but had 2 periods some months for some reason...tried the depo shot after I had my first daughter but it made me lose zero weight from my pregnancy and made me depressed and REALLY moody...I mean I was like a bitch 24/7...Ive used the patch since then and when we wanted to have a baby it took me 4 months after taking the patch off. It's just like a square looking bandaid that like 1.5x1.5 so it's fairly small and you wear one for 3 weeks out of the month but change it weekly then the 4th week you take it off for your period and I would take mine off Sunday and start Monday night or tuesday morning. I had no problems with it. I go for my annual in about 3 weeks and I think Im going to ask about Mirena or another UID bc we dont plan on having more kids but we also dont want to get anythoing permanent done in case we decide to try later.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 5:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have used the Nuva Ring for years...Before and after my last preganancy. I love it! Didn't gain any weight and I don't have to think about it but once a month. When I decided i wanted to get pregnant I stopped using it and got pregnant on my first cycle after. It's just so convienient.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Abstinence lol.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Not having sex!

Seriously though it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to try for kids soon ie: within the next couple of years or are you finished having children or want to really space them out? Are you in a committed monogamous relationship?

IUDs are great if you have already had a child but want to wait at least a couple of years to have another but only if you are in a committed monogamous relationship, they do not protect from STDs

The pill works great for many women in committed monogamous relationships or in addition to condoms but not if you want to have children within a year or so as it can take some time to get out of your system

Condoms are very effective when used properly and consistently

The patch is known to be rather ineffective

If you are in a committed monogamous relationship and just want to space out kids a little I'd reccomend spermacidal films - they are n
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• ... non-hormonal and effective when used properly. They can also be used as a supplement to condoms.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I just say stay away from the Mirena because of my experience. Non-hormonal is almost always necessary if you're breastfeeding (any hormonal can cause problems breastfeeding). For me, the best that I've used is Yasmin (pill). I'm on the Depo shot right now, but as soon as it's time for another one, I'm getting back on the pill because apparently my body doesn't like the hormone in the mini-pills, Mirena, and Depo.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Nuva Ring
    Ashley21

Answer by Ashley21 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010