Keeping a diaper on a todder

My daughter is two and a half and I am having trouble with her pulling her diaper off. I just went in her room to tuck her in and make sure she was settled and asleep. I reached for her blanket and it was soaked and the whole room wreaked of urine. I had to get her up, change her bedding and PJs and tuck her back in, the whole time she just sat there very confused and tired. This is not the first time! And I am tired of cleaning up pee!

Please don't tell me to potty train her, she has developmental delays and is more like an eighteen month old with her speech and her fine and gross motor skills, so she is definitely not ready to potty train. Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 1:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had this problem too. I put my daughter in the footy pjs and she unzipped them. so i made sure i got the ones with the little button snap that goes over the top of the zipper...that worked for a little bit. When she figured that out, I literally duct taped the zipper on her pjs up. I put the tape from inside (I put a cami on her underneath so it wouldn't iritate her skin) and over the top of the zipper. There was no way she was getting it off! She tried and tried for hours before I put her to bed that way, but I was confident she wouldn't get it off and she never did. After a while I stopped doing it and she never went back to taking her clothes and diaper off. Probem solved.
    mjpX2

Answer by mjpX2 at 4:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Have you tried pull ups?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• try putting her diaper on backwards or putting pajamas on her that zip up the back so that she can't reach and undress herself to get to her diaper.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have the same problem. Put onsies on her or put overalls on her for a while. That will break of it and soon you wont have to worry about it anymore. That worked for my daughter. For sleep, let her sleep in a onesie or get pjs that are one pieces. Hard to find, but theyre out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Pull ups don't hold as much, and cost more. But I didn't think about onsies (for some silly reason!). I think we'd be good with footy PJs but we're in SC and it's still too warm here as far as I'm concerned. Onsies may do it though. Thanks!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I just cut the feet out of Ava's zip ups and put them on her backwards when she started pulling her diaper off at seven months...back zipping PJs are difficult to find in younger babies.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My daughter just undid the onesies. Ava is VERY INTELLIGENT, though. LOL

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We live in NC and it gets in the 40s or lower at night here, though.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Well we're starting to dip into the 40s too, but when I get her up from naps and sometimes at bedtime she's pretty sweaty.. and that's in jeans and a T shirt or cotton PJs. I don't think she can undo a onsie.. I'm not sure she has the strength in her hands to actually undo a snap. Or maybe I can do the zip up PJs and just take her blanket off her bed. She hasn't figured out how to unzip them yet. I would think the combo of the PJs with the onsie under it would do it
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• one piece PJs with a zipper. If she can still get out of those, then put them on backwards. I did this for several months until my 2 1/2 year old learned not to take off all his clothes and diaper.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008