how do i use my antique dressform,want to make clothes

i have an OLD dressform,(these ones sell for good $ at antique shops) looks ilke this one http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1E07s3w_FCs/SfZTIsGhuDI/AAAAAAAAALM/K8hvfiIBFog/s1600-h/dressforms+008.JPG except i cant get mine to come together like that, its spaced out a lil more. i would like to make clothes but i have no idea how..where to start, how to draft a pattern correctly etc. i have 4yds of a silk like cloth that is kinda thick,its silk like appearance on one side. i have a hard time finding pants that fit right so if i could make my own eventually awesome,and i like of stuff thats hard to find like gothic lolita inspired clothes etc. not sure where to start. ive taken beginner sewing classes a year ago and made pillows,cases,hip scarf for bellydance and mending on our clothes.i have a decent singer as well,i dont have any fasteners though (zipper,buttons etc) any thoughts?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 4:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Wish I had an answer for you - my mom had one of those but I never got into sewing. I would say check with community ed classes, or a lot of fabric stores will have classes too.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Actually, check and see if you have a local sewing shop. The ladies that work in places like that are extremely knowledgeable. We have one called Pins and Needles and they have classes for making clothes and such.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010