What do you think of 2-3 year olds being diagnosed with ADD and ADHD?

My personal belief is that it's mainly their diet causing them to be so hyper, and if they were put on a more strict diet (taking out surgar and sweets completely) that they would be better behaved. I also believe that kids of this age were meant to act a little crazy and be all over the place, and it makes me sad to see a drugged 2-3 year old...

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 6:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's just wrong. I think pharmaceutical companies have made it near impossible to fix things naturally. When my kids are "hyper" I make them do laps around the house! Its just ridiculous how quick our society jumps to drugs for everything.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 6:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Most doctors won't diagnosed a child with ADHD until at least age 5. They usually want feedback from a teacher on there behavior.
    Not all parents give there child's sweets. SO for those that don't, how can you blame it on there diet.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• As a mother to an ADHD child, it makes NO difference what they eat! My son could have sugared cereal for breakfast and be fine and calm and quietly play with his Legos, and have veggies and a meat for lunch, with a cup of milk, and be swinging from the chandelier. We don't give a lot of sweets/treats anyway, but just because he has a cookie, he doesn't go haywire.
    As far as dX-ing so young, I don't agree with that, mainly because I don't believe in stimulant medication that early. We only recently started medicating my son so he could function in school - be less disruptive and actually sit down and absorb what is being taught. I've known that my son has severe hyperactivity early on, but he wasn't officially diagnosed until age 5.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i personally think people need to stop looking for false problems. change their diet, stop giving them processed foods and research any and every chemical that they could come in contact with and find out the fact about it.

if they child is really harming themselves or someone else then you need to seek help, but not for a kid being a kids.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My next door lady had her two year old diagnosed. The kid was completely normal as far as I could tell... but he was her youngest of 6 and she couldn't handle him, so she asked her doctor about it, and they put him on meds.
    Mom2unangel

Comment by Mom2unangel (original poster) at 6:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I feel that doctors now-a-days are very quick to say ADHD and ADD . I have to say i have to agree with you OP it is very much in the diet. My nephew (SIL son) was put on meds at age 6 he is 12 now and they changed his diet and he went from taking meds 3x a day to taking it once a day. He really is doing great in the past 2 years.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• well since any REAL dr/child psych etc knows that children that young are not typically ever diagnosed with those two issues. its not till school begins that a real diagnosis and treatment can be made . add and adhd are not just about being hyper active or distractable. and since 2-3 year olds almost have the cornerstone on distractability and hyperactivity its a bad move to allow any dr to diagnose something liek that that young. any parent concerned with there child's development should make sure thorough testing is done and not just by ONE but by SEVERAL independant and unrelated specialists. period
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I disagree with 2 and 3 year olds being diagnosed however ADD & ADHD is more that just hyperactivity!

The three primary characteristics of ADD/ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. The signs and symptoms a child with attention deficit disorder has depends on which characteristics predominate. Children with ADD/ADHD may be:

Inattentive, but not hyperactive or impulsive.
    Hyperactive and impulsive, but able to pay attention.
    Inattentive, hyperactive, and impulsive (the most common form of ADHD).
    Children who only have inattentive symptoms of ADD/ADHD are often overlooked, since they’re not disruptive. However, the symptoms of inattention have consequences: getting in hot water with parents and teachers for not following directions; underperforming in school; or clashing with other kids over not playing by the rules.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_signs_symptoms.htm
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010