I have trouble getting my daughter to eat when we eat...

My daughter is 4, almost 5 and I have so much troble getting her to eat and it always turns into a fight and she always ends up bawling bc she doesnt want to eat. She's not under weight at all but it still bugs me bc I feel like she's not getting everything she needs. When we're at home she makes a million excuses to get up "I've gotta use the bathroom" "I need to let my food cool off"..and I fix stuff she'll eat too but she always wants like pizza lunchables of bologna lunchables or gold fish crakcers. When we go out to eat she'll eat a happy mean but if we go to a nice resturaunt and I get her the same thing she gets in her happy meals (chicken nuggets/strips or corndogs and fries) it turns into a fight. WHat can I do to get her to eat and it not be a fight every ime?

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 6:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you are at "nice" restaurants why not ask her what she wants. Don't assume that she wants something that would come n a happy meal. When you eat at home make her go to the bathroom before everyone sits down. Also let her know that she won't get anything else for dinner. Tell her if she does not eat that for dinner then she can go to bed and eat it for breakfast.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I totally agree with the PP. My 2 yo has to eat what we give her and when we give it. I would expect that out of a 4 yo. I have fought with my niece to get her to eat, but she isn't allowed to leave the table until I am satisfied with the amount that she has eaten. If they don't eat save it for the next meal even if it is breakfast. My LO has has casseroles for breakfast b/c she has done what your DD is doing. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would first make sure that dinnertime is 'eating time' and nothing else. My 3 yo used to do the same thing until I started shutting off the tv, radio, etc. Then I started making dinner sort of family time, where we all SIT together, talk and eat. Once everyone's seated, noone gets up until the last person's up. When it got Really bad, I started this "1, 2, 3" Game where we all get the same thing on our fork and at the count of 3 we all eat it, IT WORKS! He gets excited to see who eats first, and to be honest I've done it with every bite until it's gone sometimes. If he's eating something different, like at a restaurant, I'll take a bite of his food to start the 123 game. If you want to stop feeding her the lunchables then don't buy them anymore, she'll have no choice but to eat other stuff, and make sure she's hungry for meals! No snacks between lunch and dinner is what I do, unless of course dinner is going to be late.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010