Do you buy gold?

There are tons of TV ads that say you should buy gold. I feel prepared and diversified in my investments. I just imagine trying to go the store and trying to buy a loaf of bread with a gold coin?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 6:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I bought silver cuz its way cheaper and I bought a teensy amount of platinum a couple years ago, but no I haven't bought gold.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Econ 101 Day 1
    Buy Low Sell High
    Is the commercial selling you someting?
    Then the price must be high, huh?
    Is it time for you to buy or sell?
    Buy gold when the dollar is high and hold it for the next recession. Not now.
    Buying gold commodities is not the same as buying gold investments, not many are educated enough to make a profit on gold commodities or coinage.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My brother-in-law does this. It's more like buying stock. You never actually see the gold.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yeah.... I just love buying things when they're at the top of the market
    *Please note the sarcasm*

I've also been taught to buy low sell high. Gold is at an all time high- insanely high. No way am I buying.

If there were a world disaster- People would be looking to trade, not buy and sell. Having bottled water and a gallon of gasoline would get you further than a piece of gold.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I understand the markets and what I need to have on hand in case the markets tank, and that maybe very soon. Gold is just not liquid enough for my taste. Okay, the dollar is worth zip, a barrel full would not buy a loaf of bread, so you get out your trusty gold coin and try and buy that same loaf of bread. Guess what? I bet you will still be hungry and holding your gold coin. I have been planning my retirement income sine I was 27 and I am now 50 and retired. I feel like I will make it because of careful planning and looking long term into what my needs will be and how best to meet them.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Not at $1,200 an ounce!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010