Fear of flying? adult content

I am terrified o0f flying. I survived a crashed military jet and since then I have not been able to fly. Am I the only person in CM that feels this way, for whatever reason?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 6:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Travel

• I'm terrified of it. I haven't been on a plane in 17 years. I have flown though. I suffer from motion sickness, so when I was faced with the whole "fly non-stop to Orlando in less time than it takes to drive to Columbus" scenario, I chose to fly. I flew back from Florida once with a stop over at Laguardia and the next week that same flight took off and crashed into the Hudson Bay.... I think about those things...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• LOL... not to be politically incorrect ~ but... I remember my first flight and back then you could smoke, which had a whole calming effect in itself! I'm ok once it is in the air....take offs and landings cause me way too much stress so I chose not to fly.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• A lot of people are afraid of flying. When I used to work at a clinic patients would call in quite often asking for a RX for xanax to help calm them down during flight.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 7:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm right there with you both (joeygoat and woodwitch) I don't have a particular reason but I'm terrified of flying, its kinda weird bc I'm not afraid of heights, but I will go to great lengths to avoid an airplane.
    The only time I can't escape it is when I have to go see my family, that's usually a 15 hour flight :( and I tremble the whole time.
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 7:13 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• ive never been on a plane so im not sure .. but i doubt ur the only one who feels this way
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I hate flying! I hate landing and taking off and turbulance...I'm much rather take a boat or a car. I can walk and swim but I can't fly!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 9:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm terrified of it. I am 34 years old and have never been on a plane, despite that fact that I have numerous friends and relatives who work for Delta Airlines. I think it's possible that I will live out the rest of my life without flying.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Even with heavy medications on board, I got as far as the gate and had to turn back and drive to my destination. I smell the jet fuel and get ill. The entire crash I made it through keeps running in my mind over and over again. When I had to come home from London to New York, I had to come home on the QE2 cruise line. I had no other way of getting home. When my dd came to visit me from Virginia, I had to take her to Atlanta for her to catch her plane. I was freaking out the entire time. Those poor TSA workers had to ask what was wrong. I caught some guy ogling at my dd in that new x ray body scan. He kept saying what a great body she had, I asked him if she knew who she was, when I told him it was my daughter he was getting off on, he turned red and apologized.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm not afraid of flying and we have to do it all the time but I really hate how inconvenient its becoming...
    to me its so much easier to throw your stuff in the car and go (of course if you have to go cross country that's a different story haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010