When is a lie okay?

a small white lie that you know is harmless and saves feelings or conflicts or awkward moments?
Honesty is not always the best policy nor is it always necessary.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree, little white lies that save others' feelings are fine - I don't think it's good to be brutally honest all the time!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, some of us can't say much when we tell our kids that they have to go to bed early for Santa Clause to bring them toys.

I guess it would just depend.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If someone asks you "Do you think i am ugly?" and you really do....a little white lie would be better than telling the truth.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• its far better to keep your mouth closed than to tell a lie to someone in my opinion
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• ah but sometimes keeping silent is as good as giving an answer.... it kinda gives away that bad thing you don't wanna say and people get hurt anyways. :)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If its someone you care about & not lying to them will hurt them & its not about something serious-like cheating-then I think its okay to tell lies.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• As long as it's a white lie that can't cause someone harm I think it's ok. Telling a small untruth to spare someone unnecessary hurt isn't a bad thing to me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I definitely believe in the "little white lie". "How do you like my new hair cut" and it's horrid! Do you say that? I don't. I think boosting someone's self confidence and happiness outweighs the small, innocent untruth.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• When my SO spends 2 hours making me a special meatloaf dinner, and it tastes like poop. I lie my little butt off. But I will never lie about anything larger than that.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 11:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2010