She wont sleep.. what am I doing wrong? :-/

We recently moved and my dd who is 5 wont sleep in her room. For the first week she did great. Only woke me up a few times at night which is normal for her she's never slept straight through the night. Now we are going into the third week and she just wont sleep. She continues to come into my room and wake me up for noo reason. This has been going on for two weeks now and I just dont know what to do.

I'm usually very patient with her, soft spoken, understanding, and listens to her off the wall reasons as to why she just cant sleep. (there are spiders, i hear things, whats that, its dark, i miss you, bathroom, juice...) How should I handle this?

DNR

Asked by DNR at 7:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give her something in her room to make her feel safe and protected. Does she have a favorite stuffed animal? Tell her that THIS stuffed animal is there to sleep with her and give her 'HAPPY THOUGHTS' while she sleeps.

IMO - it's the move that is causing this.

You can try giving her a deadline that she will stop coming in to your room. Tell her you can come into my room 3 more times. On the 3rd day - remind her constantly that this is the last day. After the 3rd day - tell her she's a big girl now, no more coming in mommy's room.
    Some kids just need to know what's going to happen. It lessens the anxiety for them. Good luck!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Supernanny her! lol, Jo has this technique on how to get your kids to stay in bed, but I am too sleepy to try to explain now. Try to watch that show or look on her website maybe? Good luck. I had a dd who never stayed in bed either, I didn't do anything about it and finally at 10 she stays in bed. :) You don't want that.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 7:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My kids did this when they were younger, I would tuck them in then sit next to their bed and read them a book, but not one of their books - usually some boring book that I was reading. I remember "Shogun" was like nyquil to them - 3 pages and they were out. When they got up at night, I would take them back to bed and sit next to their bed for 2 minutes then leave the room. Once they realized they weren't getting attention or sleeping with me, they started staying in bed all night.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• ok you have answered some of your question yourself. you have recenlty moved. although she slept to begin with i am betting it was exhaustion from all the excitement of moving. now that has worn off and she is in a new and unfamiliar place, that sounds and looks different at night. this would be unsettling for even some grown adults. i think you need ot combine some cuddly compassion with firm boundaries. a hug of reassurance keep taking her back to bed. its likely gonna continue a bit longer till she fully settles in to the new room honey. so sorry
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Give her some time to adjust to the new place and then start up with a firm routine. Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Maybe get some soft sounds or music on CD to play at night in her room, and nightlight if she doesn't already have one. She could be hearing noises in pipes or from an air conditioner or something else she never heard before that is waking her up.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Have you asked why she won;t stay in her room? Is she scared? If she is, and if you haven;t done so already, have her help decorate her room--pick a paint color SHE likes, to coordinate with bedding, so she enjoys being in there. As part of your bedtime routine, have her select some stuffed animals to sleep with, read her a story, and keep a nightlight on in her room with the door cracked open. Explain that she is a big girl now, and while she is sleeping in her room, you and daddy will be in your room just a few feet away. I had a lot of success when my children were 5 years old and I taught them that they had to stay in their rooms until their clock read "6:00" or when their alarm clock went off. I would often hear them milling about their rooms earlier, which was fine, as long as they stayed in their rooms. Sometimes they would fall back to sleep. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010